hasselblad $99 check-to-speck special

aaron_carmisciano

dont know if anyone has seen this yet but it seems like a great deal:

<a href="http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/promotions.asp?secId=253&itemId=3091">hasselblad

$99 check-to-speck special</a><br>

Includes check and alignment of one V-System body, lens, magazine and viewfinder (waist level or prism

viewfinder). Add extra lenses or magazines for only an additional $15.00 each.

This may seem like a good deal, at least until you read the "Terms and Conditions", as follows:

TERMS & CONDITIONS: A credit card is required before the Check-to-Spec service can begin. The $99.00 fee covers the inspection of one of each of the following V-System components: any 500- or 200- or 900- series camera body; any Zeiss lens; any roll film magazine; any waist level or prism viewfinder or prism meter viewfinder. Extra lenses and magazines can be included under the Check-to-Spec special for an additional cost of $15.00 each. The above fees do not include applicable taxes and shipping charges, which will be added to the invoice. If during the course of the Check-to-Spec service, a problem is identified with one of the system components that is beyond the scope of this service, a separate estimate will be provided for your review and approval. On repairs that are approved while the equipment is at Hasselblad USA, we will extend a 20% discount on the labor rate.

In reading the above "Terms and Conditions", my take is that the $99 fee simply covers the inspection of the equipment. If they find any faults with the equipment, they will provide an estimate for the repair. So you are paying them $99 to just check the equipment to see if any other work needs to be done, at additional cost. To me, this is no bargain, as I never charge my customers for an inspection and an estimate.

David S. Odess

Factory trained Hasselblad technician

www.david-odess.com

Still seems like a good deal. The two most common problems that would require an extra

part look pretty cheap (if you read on):

Roll Film Magazine Replace light traps and foils

$30.00 per film magazine

Carl Zeiss Lens Replace main spring

Additional $60.00 per lens

Note: These optional service specials are

only available at the time of a Check-to-Spec

Is this $99 to simply look at the camera? Or is this a $99 CLA?

A $99 CLA sounds like a good deal, but I can look at my own camera for free. Many good repair technicians will give a free estimate.

This offer is either not well explained, or not a good value.