300D Eyepiece Cup

joe_williams3

Lately, the rubber eyepiece cup on my 300D has acquired the very annoying habit

of coming loose, even falling off a couple times. The thing is a pain to

reinstall, too. Any good ideas on how to keep the [insert expletive here] thing

in place? Any points of view on whether I even need it at all?

The only time I had trouble with the rubber eye frame was when I used a tight bag. The dad

burn thang kept snagging as I slid it in. Evenually the plastic glides wore thin and the thing

was loose as a goose thereafter. I tossed the bag, bought a new eyeframe and it was much

tighter, although looser than when new.

I prefer a large rubber eyecup as they block light better. However Canon doesn't make one

that fits the small eye piece of their DSLRs. I hear the oversize Oly DSLR eyecup fits but I

haven't tried it.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I had the same problem on an earlier body (not sure if it was my Elan II or Elan 7E). The eyecup had two springy little plastic bits which held it in place by pressing against the edges of the eyepiece itself, and one of them actually broke off. I just lived with it; I'd be afraid to ask how much Canon charges for a replacement.</p>

<p>You could try shooting without it. I suspect you'll find the hard eyepiece a bit uncomfortable against your face and/or prone to scratching your glasses, as the case may be, and if there's a fair bit of light above or behind you, it may throw off metering.</p>

<p>Super glue would work, but then when you want to attach the eyepiece cover on the strap, it won't work. That is, assuming the 300D has such a device; my two aforementioned Elans and my 20D do.</p>

On my ancient T70, I used a couple of very small pieces of double sided Scotch tape to keep the eyecup from falling off. It's actually worked quite well, and replacement shouldn't be too difficult should I ever decide to go that route.

By the way, a new replacement from Canon, assuming that it's available, runs about $15. Good luck if you can't buy one from Canon...I've seen original T90 eyecups sell for $50.

Those eyecups are forever falling off!.

<P>The double sided tape idea sounds good.I allways use silicon sealant/glue on mine.If you ever need to remove it,the glue is easy to pull apart and clean up.<P>Of course these solutions may be annoying if you want to swap to the eyepeice cover for self timer photos .Personally i prefer to leave the eyepeice in place and check that the exposure is right after the image is taken