30d or 400d... I know, but WHY?

Hello,

I'm deciding between a EOS 30D and a Rebel XTi (EOS 400D). I have a lot of

different features compared but I'd like to know if any of you have been in the

same situation and solved it, and how did you solve it.

I see (in fact in this same web site) that 30D is superior, but when I see the

10MP and the dust removal feature of the 400D I wonder if I can use the extra

budget to invest on lens instead of the body.

If you have been in my situation please tell me how you solved this.

Thank you very much.

I was in this situation one generation ago. I had Elan II partner had Rebel. I bought 20D she bought Rebel XT. We both are happy and believe that we made the best choice. I'm big she is samll. That seems to be the bight difference. Secondly, I like the controls and layout of. the 20D. It fits may hands better. The smaller XT fits her hand better. Go to a store and handle them both, that will probably make the descion for you

Hello Rafael, Yes, I am sure that many people have been or are in the same situation. I am

one of them.

I am planning to buy an EOS 30D in the next few weeks. The absence of a dedicated

control for changing the aperture when in manual exposure mode is one of the main

reasons for me for not selecting the EOS 400D.

I was also considering the Nikon D80 but I went to a local camera shop and played with

both models available, EOS 30D and a D70s. I found the controls on the EOS 30D more

effective and more precise. Different individuals will have different preferences. I really

suggest that you pay a visit to local camera shop, if you haven't done it yet, and play with

the controls of all the models that you are considering. After all, these cameras (30D,

400D, D80) have excellent specifications (i.e. you will not be that wrong buying any of

these). However, if you are not comfortable with the equipment, you may miss some great

photo op.

Just my $0.02.

M.

Hi I solved it like this. I looked at and tried the rebel xt in a store and checked out reviews compared to other models. It did everything I needed it to do, (except full frame maybe) and it did it brilliantly. I didn?t feel it was worth while investing in a more tank like model if in eighteen months it was going to be out of date anyway in terms of new developments. My hands are large but I find handling the camera a cinch and I find the lightness good news, for my type of interests the smaller the better. Shutter sound is reasonably quiet on a crowded street. In my view a seriously good camera, capable of excellent results ? the kit lens is not that good, but it wouldn?t be on a 30D either. I?d make the same choice again. I can only imagine that the new Rebel is an improvement. Good luck.

You say "if you have been in my situation" but you don't tell us what that situation is! Are you going to be using the camera in a studio? If so, the dust removal feature probably isn't worth much. Are you going to be taking pictures of sports? If so, the AF on the 30D might be better. Are you enlarging your pictures beyond 8x10? If not, it is hard to see how the higher resolution of the Rebel XTi will be useful.

If you start by articulating your goals, you'll probably get a much more helpful answer.

Here's the general principle I go by: digital camera bodies are disposable. The problem is that you're forever tied to a specific sensor package the moment you buy the particular digital camera. It would be as if you've bought a 60's film SLR, and can only ever use the _one_ manufacturer specified emulsion from that era. Horrible thought, ain't it.

Unless you've specific overriding reasons (ergonomics, frame rate, too plastic'y, doesn't look cool, whatever) to dislike the XTi, it's a much better value than the 30D.

The fact is that the imaging characterstics of DSLR's noticeably improve generation by generation. Canon seems to be midst of new technology introductions right now, i.e., new ASIC spin and improved imagers. I'd especially hold off on the 30D; it was primarily a badge engineering excercise from the 20D.

Philip,

I believe the AF module on the XTi is the same as on the 30D. The 30D does shoot a 5fps where the XTi only does 3fps.

Rafael,

Try the cameras out and look through them. They handle very differently. The XTi uses a pentamirror rather than pentaprism which makes for a slightly darker viewfinder image and to compensate the XTi viewfinder image is smaller.

The 30D has a true spot whereas the XTi only features partial metering. This will probably never bother you.

If the ergonomics and viewfinder on the XTi suit you then go with it.

bleh. i'm stuck between the two too. goodness. but yea. i'm leaning towards the 30d tho. i looked at the reviews at dpreview.com and they compared the 30d to the d200. and heck. 10mp and 8.2mp. not much of a difference at all. in fact. dpreview recommends the 30d over d200. and d200 is better than the xti. hmmm. gahhh i don't know. keep posting guys.