Luigi half case or no case for my new silver M7??

brad_herman1

All;

I just picked up a new Leica silver-chrome M7 body. I've never used a case on

any of my Leicas before, but I've heard he makes great cases. I was wondering

though...

1.) Does his case mar or rub the finish at all?

2.) A few users indicated that their camera's sustained some sort of finish

discoloration/oxidation on some areas when using leather cases. This may be due

to the chemicals or dyes in the leather?

3.) One user said that a leather case caused his silver finish to 'bubble' or

'blister' in one area.

4.) It makes sense that a barrier of thick leather will protect the camera, but

there are chemicals in leather which may not be kind to the finish.

5.) Is it good practice to not store the camera in the leather case?

Again, I'm not saying that Luigi's cases do this, (I've heard nothing but good

things about his cases) but wanted to confirm what I've heard and read.

Thanks

Brad

Brad, my apology for a slightly OT response. The 1st scratch mark would really hurt, naturally. The subsequent marks would bring you to accept the realities of using it on any field trip. And should you ever get a ding or dent on it you'll further accept the cold reality it's gonna be a user. Shoot plenty of images with your new M7 and enjoy every moment with it, irregardless of that rub or whatever mark caused by that little shirt button or tie clip. Congrats on your purchase.

In my view: much ado about nothing. Last year in a workshop Ralph Gibson spoke strongly

against any of these cases for M cameras for two reasons: one, they disguise the sound of

the shutter -- and he recognizes the sound of various shutter speeds thereby knowing if

he's at a setting that he does not want to be; two, he likes the feel of the camera without

any case. I agree with the latter. As for all the other questions: alll this is much too fussy

for my taste, or for my photography for that matter:

<p>

Nowhere..man

<p>

--Mitch/Potomac, MD

Luigi cases are designed to "protect" your camera.

"A few users indicated that their camera's sustained some sort of finish discoloration/oxidation on some areas when using leather cases."

Some older Leica made cases will indeed do damage to you camera because the leather is old and dried out, but Luigi cases will not. Just use common sense when handling a case - if you have to force the case onto the camera and the leather isn't soft and pliable then of course it will damage the camera's surface.

"One user said that a leather case caused his silver finish to 'bubble' or 'blister' in one area."

Now, that is simply ridiculous! The Zinc-alloy M6 top covers are made from does this under certain conditions, but not because of a case. The problem in this case lies in the camera itself.

"...but there are chemicals in leather which may not be kind to the finish."

I have been using Luigi cases for years and have never heard anything so absurd. Leave the case on 100% of the time. The leather Luigi uses will only protect your camera.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

"1/2 cases have no function..."

The most significant protection is above the strap lugs. Many Leica users tape this area of the camera (this is unnecessary with a half case mounted). A luigi case also provides a significant grip compared to having no case at all.

– Yogi Berra

"... if you are photographing something and need to change film quickly, these cases get in the way."

Having a half case on an M camera adds perhaps 10 seconds to the film changing process. If you regularly need to change film quickly, then a Leica M is not likely your camera of choice.

– Yogi Berra

I use Luigi's case/half case and find it very comfortable and nice. It contributes to ergonomy of my camera, esp. due to the padded grip on right side of the case. As I learned from Luigi, his leathers are only naturally tanned, no metals used. I can only recommend.

ZP

Considering that those cases sell for more money than I've paid for any of my M bodies out of estate sales it seems like a really silly expense. Cameras are tools. I do keep my Voigtlander Vito CL in the bottom half of the "never ready" case, but the camera has no neck strap lugs. The Leicas and Bessa L bodies? Never!

Pluses: It protects the camera against dents and scratches. It looks nice, and has a good feel. Does it really improve the grip? For some, perhaps. The Leica grips well with or without case, and with or without an accessory grip. I can say that it does improve the grip for an MP, what with its slippery, almost smooth covering. Why did they have to use that on an otherwise fine camera? I regret not having had one for most of the years I've used my M2, which would then be in much nicer shape today.

Minuses: It is a nuisance to take on and off when changing film, like the gentleman said. It is also a nuisance when I want to double-check that I have set the film speed correctly. (I understand you can get one with a cutout for the ISO dial, though.)

On balance, I'm glad I have mine. It would not occur to me to get rid of them.

I recently bought a older mint Leica half case for $25. I use the bottom case for protection and grip. Leaving this case on your camera will not cause a finish problem. The new MP body covering gives a refined look matched with a satin chrome finish. The material is not as shinny as pictures indicate and the smoother surface texture complements satin chrome.