Digicam for 8-Year-Old

My 8-year-old granddaughter wants to buy a digital point-and-shoot camera. She

aspires to become a "fine art photographer" (landscapes, nature) like her

grandfather. (The appellation is highly questionable, but I'll go with it!)

She's been saving up her money and the family is looking to me, the expert, for

advice. I suggested she start out right with the M8, but there seems to be some

resistance to this idea. What would you recommend for a first digital camera for

her? She's smart (naturally) and pretty responsible for her age, but she is

eight, and I suspect the camera will hang from a wrist strap rather than be

carried in a protective case. Your advice is most welcome.

Well teach her that the first rule of photography is to keep the camera in a case, a handy and fashionable bum-bag, and suggest her a simple Panasonic :-) There is no need for her to learn all the technical junk we started with but give her some guidance on as to how to trick the automatics into giving her the results she wants. The M8 will be obselete within five years maximum so is an expensive 'over-kill'. we live in a consumer society.

Yes, Alan, my M8 comment was completely in jest, I guess my humor was too subtle. I agree a case would be a good idea. Thanks for the other suggestions. I was thinking along the lines of a Nikon Coolpix L4 perhaps, her budget is limited. I think the S3IS is too "big" both physically and financially for her.

Why not an M8 ? After all, she is 8. :)

Agree that the S3 is a big hunk of camera for an 8-year-old.

There are several p & s digital cameras in the 4 - 5 mpxl range (more than enough) for just over $100. I believe I saw a Nikon and a Kodak that fit the bill recently, perhaps reduced because they're about to be replaced in the line-up, but so what?

The most slender/stylish of the p & s cameras seem to be $250 and up, and may have a few more "scene modes," but that doesn't mean they take better photos. And in most cases, in certainly doesn't make them any more rugged. Both Olympus and Pentax now offer very weather resistant cameras, at least one of which, perhaps both, also claim shock resistance, but again more $$$.

I'd say start at the lower end, but I'd get one that has a bit of optical zoom (3x is ok). And I'd absolutely avoid the off-off brands. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, and perhaps Casio should be on the ok list.

You refer to this as a "first digital camera," and truer words were never spoken.

Good luck.

Michael, I think you are on the mark, 4-5 megapixels is plenty and a 3x zoom. Cameras such as the Canon "Elph" or "Ixus" series are very sleek, in part because they use thin proprietary and not AA batteries, but also probably are out of her price range. I'll contunue to hunt around, as you suggest, a just-discontinued model might be a good buy, I don't think they become incapable of making pictures, say, at the stroke on midnight on September 25. Thanks again, everyone.

Buy and older camera new or used. Under 200 is best. Olympus cameras are great (FE models or stylus etc) and can be had pretty cheap with 4mp and up with 3x zoom etc. they're made pretty well (stylus series especially) and can take great photos. Its not the camera its the photographer! :)

I started out with a 2mp HP about 5 years ago.

After mentioning and recommending a Kodak myself, I see I inadvertently left Kodak off my "ok list." It absolutely belongs on the list.

Now I'm helping to figure out what should replace my teenage daughter's recently broken p & s digital. But I find that there may be 3 different ones on the list:

1. The camera I'd get for myself.

2. The camera I'd recommend for her given the kinds of photos she takes.

3. Perhaps a 3rd, more stylish but (I suspect) less capable machine, that has caught her eye.

And reluctantly, I'm probably going to go with #3, still in the same price range, because if she winds up with a camera *she* doesn't want to carry around and use, why bother ? It certainly won't advance her interest in photography.

Hi John, we got our granddaughter a digital camera last Christmas when she was 5. I got a used 2Mp Nikon for under $100 on fleabay (don't remember the model number, but the lineup is different now anyway). She does well with it and likes it. Five might sound a tad young, but you should see their curriculum in kindergarten!

IMHO the important factors, beyond how much you want to spend, are size, weight, and fit of the camera and accessibility of controls in her hands. This argues for a small camera powered by 2AA's or a lightweight proprietary battery. Also helps to have a self-closing lens rather than a lens cap, but most models you would consider probably have this arrangement.

Thanks, everyone, for your taking the time to make suggestions. There are a lot of good ideas here. I think you have identified some things to take into consideration and some potential models for us to think about. I appreciate your help. Maybe Keith is on the right track: get her an M8 that she could hand down to Grandpa when she gets an M9. ;-)

since i'm sure she's a relatively strong child, i'd suggest the canon 1ds mark 2 and a 600mm f4 L IS lens which has a combined weight of a little over 15 pounds, perfectly handholdable. She'll love the great reach when she's on her weekly safari's in africa........

anyway, seriously a canon s3 is is way too serious a camera for an 8 year old. There is no reason for her to have anything more than a $100 camera, and even that is pushing it. Literally any 3 or 4 megapixel camera will do, just find which one looks relatively durable and preferably one that has a lens that retracts into the body with an automatic cover that closes over the lens. It'll be harder to destroy. Good luck, and next year go for the m8, it looks like a gorgeous camera.

>>>>Yes, Alan, my M8 comment was completely in jest<<<<

The way children are engaging in the digital world it could well be an indication of how old some of us are and how out of touch with the youngsters coming through. Set her up with her own subscription to Photonet and perhaps the Aussie www.passionfor pixels.com groups and see how she blossoms :-) P4P has a high moral standard and doesn't permits nudes etc, even artistic nudes, so quite suitable for a young lady.

<i>Well teach her that the first rule of photography is to keep the camera in a

case..</i><p>I don't think so. An 8 year old girl who's interested in photography is

unlikely

to be rough with it. The first rule is that she be free to experiment and have fun

taking pictures.