Maxed out my CF card while on vacation with RAW?

Greetings all- I am currently on vacation in San Francisco and have maxed out

all of my CF cards with RAW images from my 20D. 3 GIGs worth. I had brought my

USB connector, EOS CD software, etc, all with the hopes of downloading my

images to my brothers computer and burning a CD. Unfortunately, my brother's

computer does not have a CD burner. Not mentioning, I don't think his computer

would be able to handle such dowloads anyways as his computer is very slow as

it is and locks up easily. My question is however, do the photo machines at 1

hour photo labs allow for RAW image dowloads to a CD? I don't think they do,

but thought I would ask. I'd rather not have to buy another CF card, but if it

is my only option I may just have to do so. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.Regards- Carlos

Portable hard-disks absolutely rock! That's next on my "to-buy" list. A number of my colleagues have the Hyperdrive (http://hyperdrive.com); it's a no-frills memory-card -> disk machine (no color screen and minimal interface), but it works well and has good battery life.

If you have any computer skills, you can buy just the Hyperdrive case and buy/install a hard-disk drive on your own.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

I got a portable storage device (combo card reader and harddrive) for not much more than

$130US.

It has no preview, just a boring old text display that tells you capacity and confirms the

images have been loaded. These are much cheaper than the newer lcd devices with whiz-

bang screens and previews of images.

Its about the size of the old 60GB ipod photo. Mine is 40GB, but its a standard 2.5 inch

laptop drive that is user swapable.

I only took 3GB of CF cards, but downloaded 25GB of raw files over a 2 week holiday,

worked flawlessly and doubles as an external 40GB HD when I'm at home.

Don't even think of buying lots of cards, it just costs too much. CDs don't store enough for

8-10 MB raw files, a portable device or a laptop with DVD burner (if you want to carry it

around) is the way to go.

regards,

<i>>>I got a portable storage device (combo card reader and harddrive) for not much more than $130US.<<</i>

<p>

ANd what is this 'mystery' device called?

<p>

<i>>>do the photo machines at 1 hour photo labs allow for RAW image dowloads to a CD?<<</i>

<p>

A Photo store/lab or computer store should be able to set you up. Kinko's rents time on their PCs as well.

<p>

That "Hyperdrive" look a lot like the <a href=http://www.compactdrive.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31>Compactdrive PD70X</a>...

I just stand at a demo computer at Best Buy or Staples and tell the sales person I don't need any help ... as I download my CF card to my own CD-R, and then smile and walk away when I'm done -- no charge!

When I'm traveling, I download updates that way, too, getting drivers and what not, and copy them to my CF card or my own CD-R, all free at computer warehouse retailers.

Sometimes I make friends with a sales person, but usually they are happy to walk away and leave me alone!

Kinko's charges a bundle; computer / office retail store demo PCs are FREE!

Also, if you're patient, you can email the files to yourself using a GMail account ... real patient!

Andy, you're point?

We're ALL using the internet and each other's resources FREE.

I did not say "steal" anything -- only to use the demo computers to demo something useful -- like copying from CF to CD-R.

Who knows? Maybe that'll increase sales - and that's why the stores allow you to play with their demo computers.

Tell me, Andy, what are YOU gonna do next time you have a full CF card in one hand, a blank CD-R in the other, and no place ELSE to transfer but a freebie demo in front of you? Are you gonna walk away and go the bathroom and grab some paper towels to solve your problem? =8^o

Please, Andy, contribute something useful, okay? thanks!

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com Minolta Rokkor Alpha DiMage Photographer http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/