10D error 99

I have been using a 10D with a Tamaron 28-300mm lens intensively for 2.5 years

now (6 months at a time), in an oceanic environment. Until last week I had no

problems. But have started to get the message error 99 - which means none of

the likely problems. Some times this is resolved by turning the camera off and

twisting lens or removing and replacing the battery. Has anyone else

encountered this problem? If the shutter is beginning to have a problem does

it just stop or could this be the problem? I need to have a reliable camera

and at the moment do not know when this error msg will appear again.

Looking forward to any advice. But I will most likely upgrade to the 30D and

keep this one as a backup.

Thanks,

Lisa

I too having been having the same type of problems and been wondering if it was the shutter as well. Do you have any images that are corrupted or what happens to the image that you was taking when you got error 99. When I download the images after that it will sometimes cause my computer program to crash as well. I hope I made this e-mail confusing enough.

So far I have not had any corruptions on the card. The last image - when the fault occurs just is not written to the card and then I have to sort out the fault, sometimes repeatedly removing lens, battery etc until when I turn it back on the fault is gone! Sorry to hear you are having a similiar problem - but a little glad that I am not imagining things!

Lisa

I have received an error 99 message on my canon 350D when I

tried using older Sigma lenses. After some research it turns out that the lens I was using can't

be stopped down by the camera, and when I tried it gave me this error. It will however not

give me the error when I shoot with the lens wide open. If you try to shoot wide, does it take

the picture and when you stop down do you get the error? If so I'd bet its the shutter. Many

lenses can be 'rechipped' to solve this problem (you'd have to contact the manufacturer). I'm

no experti but in your case Lisa, given you've been using this lens in the past with no

problem, I'd bet the shutter is sticking. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately in my case I shoot with the aperature as wide as it will go, to get the fastest shutter speed. I am shooting moving whales and dolphins on a moving boat! so I don't think the aperature on the lens is the problem, unless there is some salt sticking somewhere - but contacts have been cleaned. Any ideas on where to get the shutter repaired (UK or Portugal)?<div>00H6JO-30853684.jpg.9b60a119128e9e0d5a70de2cc8644dcb.jpg</div>

Using your camera in a persistently corrosive environment (salty sea spray) will likely result in some corrosion of the electrical contacts at least. You should try cleaning the lens contacts on the lens itself and the body, using a pencil eraser and avoiding letting any detritus fall into the mirror box or the lens. If the contacts have become badly corroded they may need to be replaced. Corrosion damage may be more extensive than that, and require a more major repair, which may not be economic. Spray can also enter around the buttons, battery compartment and other orificies - your camera and lens are not weather sealed. The only real defense is to use an "underwater" housing - quite an expensive item of itself - though you should be able to slow the progression of damage with simpler protection. Always be sure to wipe down the camera and lens with a slightly damp cloth when you get back to dry conditions.

What Mark said is what I was thinking when I first read your post. The 10D is a good sturdy

plastic camera but Its not weather sealed like the more professional Cannons and Nikons.

Why not think about a used Canon 1D MKII the 8.2 MP one. Its a lot of camera, higher

resolution than what you have and is according to Steve's Digicam site, highly sealed against

weather. Still just the salt tainted air is corrosive to electrical devices and Mark's advice is

good. By the way, that's a whale of a shot there, it's certainly no fluke......ha ha, I kil me, ho

ho....

Good luck and P.s. you could still keep the 10D. Also, have you considered having the 10D

looked at?

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the 1d, but the budget has never been able to quite stretch that far and it weighs a lot more. I take as much care as possible regarding the environment, but having worked at sea for many years now, I know how corrosive salt is! My Eos 600 was bought 2nd hand in 94 and served me very well and in fact is still my back up since I went digital in 2004. I will have the 10D looked at, as soon as the replacement arrives - any recommendations? Thanks again.