More bang for the buck - Indoor lens with good zoom

evans_p.

Newbie here: So I just recently purchased a D50 and I love it! I've been taking

tons of pictures for the past 2 weeks. But recently, my girlfriend has started

to play collegiate hockey again and I tried taking pictures. Soon it became

obvious that that lens the camera came with is not for indoor as it does poor in

low lighting. So i'm trying to educate myself on indoors lenses. So what do you

think is the best indoor lens with a good zoom (for hockey, basketball, etc..)

that's not going to kill my already weak wallet. I'm looking for anything

between $100 and $350, maybe a little over $400 if its worth it. Thanks in advance.

You are not going to get a fast zoom lens for your budget. For indoor hockey a 70-200 f2.8 would be a good starting point. But even the third party Sigma version will set you back about $900. And depending on the lighting even 2,8 can be a tad slow for indoor sports.

For a $100 you can get a 50mm 1,8 though. Start with that and save for some longer glass.

I shoot a lot of different sports for my school and I've got to say the hardest are night soccer and hockey. Besides the dirty protective glass between you and your subject, the lighting is simply horrible and without at least a 80-200 you'll have a really hard time getting anything shot worth keeping.

You might consider one of the Nikkor 70-300 lenses. The G version is a little more than

$100 used, while the D version is a little over $200 used (check KEH.com for a price guide)

They are slow, but you can change the ISO on the D50 and keep an eye on exposure and

shutter speeds as you shoot. Good luck!

Evens, I ran into the same problem with my daughter's high school Volleyball and Basketball. I also have the D50 and have looked at the Nikon, Tamron, and Sigma fast zoom lenses f/2.8 (used) and tried to justify the dollars and weight for something at this time that I would not be using very much after she is finished with high school. I chose to purchase the Nikon 50mm/1.8 lens and find in small gyms where you can sit or stand along the sidelines it does a great job. Yes I have to still crop but I have good quality pictures to crop since at ISO 800 and wide open I can keep the shutter speed up over 1/250 sec. This is fast enough to stop the the volleyball in flight. With that fast of a lens I do not need to use my flash shooting in Manual mode. I am noticing other parents from other teams shooting with slower zooms from the stands using the SB-600 or 800 flashes to get their shots. I also use my 50mm/1.8 for a lot of indoor pictures and again I do not have to use the flash and find without the flash I do not bother the people I am taking pictures of and I do not have Deer Eyes to fix in the post processing. For a little over $100 for the lens it is a great buy. If you are serious about taking sport pictures start looking at the zoom lenses mentioned above that shoot at f/2.8, they will get you the pictures you want.

PS don't be scared to shoot your D50 at ISO 1600 when taking indoor pictures. Before my 50mm lens I was able to get fare pictures with my 18-70 lens with the feet and hands still being blurred from the slower shutter speed. I first laid on the floor at home and started taking pictures of my ceiling fan until I could stop blades. My wife and daughter laughed at me but it taught me a lot about my camera and how to shoot in Manual Mode.

Have fun, Tim

Most non-pro hockey rinks are very poorly lit. You'll have a world of trouble finding a zoom that will work in that situation for your budget. I shoot with my 80-400 for hockey but need a 70-200, really. And I'm shooting in the high ISO ranges.

I've used a 100mm 2.0 on film and got some great shots when the players were close. So an 85mm 1.8 would work. You're going to wish you had more reach, in the 200-300 range. I wouldn't go with the 70-300 because it is very slow and the rink will be too dark. You'll have more frustration than success.

I too would recommend the 50mm 1.8 for under $100. If you can move around the rink for

closeups near the glass, I think you would be very happy with the results. Even if you don't

end up liking the lens for shooting hockey games, it's a must have for your collection. It has

no zoom, but no zoom is as fast.