tim_drake

The cover photo of the October 2006 Outdoor Photographer was taken with a

Pentax 67. Do you remember when the Pentax 67 used to dominate the best

photos of this magazine? About two years ago I was finally able to afford

this camera system through the advent of the digital age and e-bay. My 67II

has become my all time favorite camera --for the images it produces and its

versatility. I started off with the 55mm and quickly added the 200mm which

shares the same filter size. When I read that the system was going to be

discontinued I ordered a new 75mm 2.8 lens and wow, I love that lens too.

Since there has not much been going on in this forum, I thought I would ask

other Pentax 67 fans for their comments. Sincerely, TD

I use a Pentax 67 some of the time. when I get tired of the square format

Rollei. The Pentax lenses always seem sharp. Even when they aren't. It is

odd. You can get something a little out of focus but it still prints sharp. The

Rollei isn't that way. I used my Pentax last weekend for an outdoor wedding

and the *#%!&* 90 leaf shutter wouldn't synch ( I ran a test ahead of time). So

I was forced to stick with 30th second and it was a real hassle. I couldn't quite

get the flash to the right output.

I think my sharpest Pentax lens is probably the 55 ( which focuses closer than

the 45) though my 105 is very sharp (as well as cheap) I would get a 105 just

because it won't cost you much and it is a very nice length.

Have been using 67II for a few years. Have six lenses for it, from 35 to 300mm. I think it is the best general purpose 6x7 camera for outdoor use and certainly best value for money. In studio, Mamiya Rb or RZ would be better but in natural light when one needs to carry the equipment for any distance, the P67 rules. The only problem is the big shutter that needs a hefty tripod especially with that 300.

I love my P67.

It is really nice how you can get them so affordably these days with everyone dumping in the rush to digital.

I have the 90mm LS and the 165 2.8 and they are both great lenses, even wide open. I use mine as a "field" camera with the WLF and it is a great system.

Word. I was running into wind issues with my 4x5 every time i went back to michigan to

shoot. It's just always windy when i get there! I lucked out 2 years ago and got the 67II

modified version from a photo.net member. The 1/3 stop speeds and extended shutter

speeds are a nice feature that i recommend for anyone that shoots slide film. I'll

eventually get another one or an older 67 strictly for b&w work. That shutter does require

a hefty tripod but that slows me down and i get better results. The opening shot on my

web site was with the 55mm as well as "winter in bliss" among several others in the color

section. These shots wouldn't have been possible with my large format gear.

http://www.vinnywalsh.com

I made my first foray into medium format with a "used" P67II just under a year ago. I say used, as it was in all the original packaging and included a blank warranty card. I have the 105mm and 75mm lenses, and would like to add something longer; perhaps the 200mm and a 1.4x converter.

From the start I have been simply amazed at the huge transparencies I am getting from the camera. However, I have yet to make any really big prints, so I still have not used all that extra resolution.

I use the camera about equally on a tripod and hand held. I do not see the problems some claim about the camera being too heavy/cumbersome or having too much vibration to shoot hand held. But then, I am by no means small.

My only complaints are that I worry that I may not be able to buy another one if/when I want it and that when I scan the transparancies at 4000dpi on my Nikon CS9000, the files are huge - I can only get 8 on a DVD.

Tim, the 2.8/75 AL is a lovely lens, I expect you'll like it as much as I do; it's a favorite. I still have the non-MLU 6x7 I bought used in 1976, and a late 6x7 that came with a 45 and 300mm, and two 67II bodies picked up last year. Ten lenses in all... This gear has become too affordable to pass up!<div>00IA72-32566584.jpg.1bdd51ba4ec336c6f28c5dff94a9b022.jpg</div>