where are all those 0.58 finders? ....

michael_hassoun3

I see lots of used 0.72 bodies and a fair amount of 0.85. Where are all those

0.58 ???

Six years ago, the only reason for me to buy a new M6TTL over a used M6 was

this excellent 0.58 finder. I wear glasses and shoot extensively 35mm focal. I

guess I'm not the only one around.

So I wander. Is this 0.58 finder model unloved from some unclear reason and so

only very few where/are bought OR is it so good that nobody wants to sell???

Any clue?

For me I fall in your last reason. I too shoot mostly with a 35, wear glasses, and bought a .58 MP three years ago. The bad part about the M6TTL, if you use multiple M's, is that the SS dial goes the opposite direction.

The .58 finder brings up only the 35 frame lines making it the closest thing to an M2 until the MP3 came out. I'm guessing that you don't see many .58 MP's is that there were not that many produced. I'm not selling mine any time soon if that's a clue.

I did notice that Tony Rose at Popflash has several .58 M6 TTL's for sale.

JUst a few months back I hunted and hunted before turning up what I believe was one of

only two or three 0.58 M7s still in stores in the UK. Mine was an ex-demo from a store in

Bath.

I believe the reason the 0.58 finder is relatively rare is because (a) it was popular with

much smaller numbers of people and (b) last year (or the year before?) it ceased to be a

standard production option on any Leica M.

You may like to know that London's Classic Camera store currently has what looks like a

quite hard-used 0.58 M6ttl for GBP899.00. And no, I have no connection with the shop

whatsoever.

See: http://www.theclassiccamera.com/hermes/shop/13,1,100

Regards,

alun

Paul you even baulked at the price of a pizza in London! You are so cheap.

ALL prices are more expensive in the UK and London especially so. We pay more taxes than you and every shop/business also has to pay higher taxes so they get passed on also.

Brand new Leica prices are higher in the UK and so therefore are used prices.

Fact of life.

My .58 is an LHSA BP "original" - which is a relative term, because there are no .58 LHSA

originals. The factory took a bunch of unsold .85's and fitted them with the .58 finder, then

slapped a .58 sticker on the box over the printed .85. Only about 60 cameras were

"refactored" this way. It's pretty rare and it's going nowhere except out to take pictures.