Broken shutter?

ratface1

So after a persistent Error 99 on my Canon 10d, I opened the mirror with the

Sensor Clean option, and noticed my shutter curtain is jammed half way open.

Please tell me there's a quick fix which doesn't involve sending it to Canon,

since I 100% need a camera this weekend! Anybody have a similar problem and

find a way to correct it?

Thanks! :)

60,000 snaps -- that's a valuable data point! Its also about as valid a pretext for upgrading as you're liable to get :-)

Pursuant to a similar query, I was advised shutter repair would cost about $200. The question is whether or not you could recover the repair cost before selling the body? I've seen all sorts of busted lenses go for astounding prices on eBay. Wonder if anyone has experience one way or the other?

Of course, if you plan to keep it as a backup body, then there is no question about doing it. OTOH, unless you're a pro or have an upcoming need, I wonder in this day of fast shipping and quick turn-around whether it makes sense to worry about a backup? Digital camera bodies are not quite the commodities that cellphones are, but we're getting there. New film cameras are essentially overpriced disposables. Can digitals be far behind?

Luckily through work (at my paper) I can use equipment, but my personal camera (10d) is what I use for my sidework. My editor okay'd me to borrow some work gear, but I guess a new camera is in my future.

The 10D isn't too shiny, but she did a good job and has paid the bills for the last 3 years. I think it's time to move on!