Lenses

cristography

Hi to everyone,

I am just new here in photo.net just starting to build bridges with other

photographers around the world..anyways.

I just want to ask i am planning to buy a 40mm lense for my hassy. And there are

some few on ebay. I was thinking if anyone there could direct me which one to

buy. I will probably use it more in interior photography. I want to invest on a

better lense this time so hope you could advise me which on is my moneys worth.

I have an 50mm C lense and i had a problem with it. The top cone is

shaking...then when i put the shutter speed to 1,2 or 4 it does not work

properly...Is thsi normal?

Thanks!

Cristo

Cristo, typically I buy the latest version I can afford (unless there is something very special about an ealier version) because typically more modern versions have either optical or other user benefits (again, unless there is a special attribute sought from an earlier version).

So, if you can afford it, buy the latest 40mm you can afford. The CF version lenses are excellent and the CF 40 has advantages over the C version.

Since you have a 50mm, have you considered a 38mm Biogon (still quite expensive for any version though)? These are brilliant fo indoor shooting due to thir very low distortion.

For me, I do not like the ergonomics of C lenses (except for the 38mm Biogon because the DOF indicator is really neat). For me the CF ergonomics are a vast improvement.

I cannot speak about the comparative optical performance of C 40mm versus CF 40mm or versus CFE/i 40mm. I do no own or use a 40mm as I do not like its distortion - but thousands of hooters do, so that is only my personal opinion. I use a CF 50mm FLE and if I wanted wider I would go for the 38mm Biogon SWC because of its extremely low distortion.

Also keep in mind the relative filter size of the 40mm version you select and how that may or may not fit the rest of your kit - for some that can be an issue.

Finally, the C lenses are not supported by the factory now but parts are quite well available in the "trade" still. The CF lenses are still supported by the factory.

So, my suggestion is try a CF 40mm and see how you like using it - then if you like it, seek out one you can afford that is in excellent optical / shutter condition and don't worry too much about its cosmetics.

This is very much a budget question. The following lenses have been made in chronological order:

4,0/40 mm black C-lens, T-coated

4,0/40 mm black C-lens, T*-coated

4,0/40 mm CF-lens, improved optics and ergonomics, floating elements, T*-coated

4,0/40 mm CFE-lens, same optics like CF-lens, T*-coated

4,0/40 mm IF CFE-lens, improved optics (for digital use),T*-coated

The data sheets for all these lenses are available at the Zeiss website. I would stay away from early single coated (T-coated) lenses, they should be very prone to flare because of the large front element and number of elements. And do not forget to look at the Hasselblad SWC as a high quality alternative with 38 mm-lens.

Ulrik

Let me add a comment to the spare part/repair aspect. Hasselblad Germany offers to work on all type of Hasselblad lenses, also C-style. They do not have all parts for the C-series lenses any more. And they also do not have all parts for the CF-style 40 mm lens as they state on their homepage. However in most cases Hasselblad lenses only need cleaning and lubrication.

Ulrik