Tips for senior portraits

gwen_waite

I'm going to be shooting my first senior portrait session, and I'm wondering if

anybody can give me tips on posing, lighting etc. I usually shoot young kids

candidly, and just let them play as I take their pictures. I have a lot of fun

with the kids, and we end up just playing outside together as I shoot away.

Taking photos of a teenager, where I will have to direct him, is a whole

different story. My guess is he will feel awkward, and I know I can just talk

with him about ordinary stuff to relax him, but I'm wondering if anybody out

there with experience has some tips for posing or helping them to feel more

natural. We'll be shooting outside, probably in the warehouse district of

Minneapolis or in a park somewhere, on a bridge over the Mississippi River. I

shoot digitally, on a Canon 20D, and I have the 550EX Speedlight. I will use

the Speedlight for fill flash. We'll be shooting in the late afternoon. Any

suggestions?

Most teenagers feel they have a better grasp and understanding of today's world than adults do. Every single one of us went through this as we were filled with confidence and couldn't wait to be part of the adult world. They also don't like to be treated as kids, which many adults do unfortunately.

My suggestion is that you approach this shoot as you would with an adult. Try to talk to the subject as you would with another adult, a colleague or respected peer. Involve him in the shoot by explaining what you are trying to achieve and even feel free to discuss your artistic approach and your goals for the day. If he doesn't understands some parts of it, he will still appreciate the exchange very much and you will gain his confidence and he will be more relaxed. Teens want to be involved most of the time. Break the "photographer" / "subject" barrier by establishing more of a "team" approach where he plays some part in the process or helps you in taking the photographs you need.

It's no different than with any other subject. You just need to enjoy yourself and be relaxed so the subject follows your moves and shifts in the same mode as the one you are in.

Senior Portraits are environmental, so you're going to want to include lots of the warehouse district in each shot. Look for cool angles to include interesting details in the foreground of each shot. Just tell the subject to be natural, put his hands and feet where ever they feel most comfortable. Hands in pockets is always a good pose. If he's standing really rigid, tell him to lean against something. Crouching is good for boys, as well as sitting and leaning against something. The best tip is try lots of different things and take lots of shots to make sure you capture his personality.

Thanks for the great advice. I would rather not direct him too much with posing, mostly guide him in the right direction, and hope he responds well and can relax. The advice about having him lean against something is good - certainly more natural. Thanks. About lighting - do you think the Speedlight and bracket will be too intimidating? Should I just go for a reflector instead - or some of each?

I'd go with some of each. I doubt a teenage boy would be intimidated by a flash on a bracket, at least I haven't come across one. Teenagers usually want to look tough and cool. Mom and the grandparents will want smiles, so include some of those. A great source of ideas for seniors is the entertainment industry. Look through CD covers at the music store and teen magazines. That's what the kids want to look like - teen idols. Ask him about his hobbies. Does he play sports, musical instruments, etc.? Think of ways to incorporate these into his portraits. Guys are often a bit uneasy in front of a lens, so be ready to give plenty of direction. They aren't like young kids that quickly ignore the camera. When you get a shot you think he might like, show it to him on the monitor. That helps them to relax and trust you more.<div>00I3qW-32399384.jpg.4fa2c865c02a9819a222fbb9dd3f68b4.jpg</div>