camera (I tend to use cloudy a lot, maybe this is the problem?) My skin tones

tend to come out a little on the pink/magenta side. In PS I sometimes use the

auto correct in Curves (but that doesn't always give me a nice result)and I

find myself using Selective Color, adding a little yellow to offset the

magenta. Are there any other PS techniques that are easier or made

specifically for skin?

I don't have any calibration software, could this be the problem? Could you

suggest any?

The big fix could very well be your monitor. Send some prints to the lab and see what happens. Then adjust your monitor accordingly.

Absolutely agreeing with Douma, shoot raw. Digital's downfall is ironically digital's advantage. And that is white balance. A raw file can be manipulated on the computer just like changing out a roll of film.

For those individual shots:

In PS, create an adjustment layer of Saturate/Hue, find the drop-down next to edit and select Red. Adjust the saturation down to -15 and lightness to +15.

Fill the adjustment mask with black (with the mask thumbnail active in the layers pallete, hit the D key then CTRL+BACKSPACE). Then with a soft brush, paint over the areas of skin you wish to correct. Then readjust further if needed.

You also need to find a way to understand that 'white' as in wedding dress, is a little different than 'skin tones.' Some eyeballs should have white but it generally is not the same 'white' as a wedding dress...you may just have to decide which color you want to be correct and let the other colors be a bit off. It may not be possible in every image to get every color unique at a wedding as each area you take photos in may not have the same room lighting or outdoor lighting.

<p>Amanda,</p>

<p>You may want to invest in basic calibration software. I've been using Monaco EZ Color

(software) and Monaco Optix (calibration tool) for the last few years and have not had any

color issues. One note, you do want to use the monitor calibration tool (hockey puck) for

correct color. You can do it by eye, but your color will be correct when using the proper

tool.</p>

<p>A good method for proper skin tones involves the white eyedropper in levels.

Wedding dresses are all sorts of white, but men's shirts are generally the same tone of

white. In levels, click the white eyedropper and click on a brightly lit portion of the shirt.

Slide your midtones around and you should have proper skin tones.</p>

A Photoshop plugin like SkinTune might help you learn more quickly about color corrections, and also help you achieve the skin tones you are looking for without the manual process that many use.

http://www.phototune.com/skintune_intro.html

I reccommend the book called PhotoShop Color Correction (Michael Kieran). It gives excellent background into color theory, and provides generous amounts of step by step examples.

Best of luck to you!

yeah totally, I use velvia 50 polarzied for my up close portraits. lovely skin tones, haha

you can always tell when marc is up to his eyeballs in processing digital images. dude, put some tri-x in the leica and get off the computer :)

amanda, are you unhappy with the skin tones on your monitor or in your prints?