Zeiss pages missing from Cameraquest

Rob F.

Tony Rose at Popflash has plenty of Zeiss ZM stuff at the same price that CameraQuest did. I ordered a black Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar when the news broke that Zeiss was trying to shut down the grey market suppliers.

Zeiss wants you to ordered directly from them. I could have bought the 50mm f/2 Plannar from them at a cost of around $950 which includes shipping and duties (and Euro exchange rates). Or from Popflash for $600 plus shipping. Guess where I shopped at?

Here's a link that covers this topic to death.

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24763

I enquired from a reliable Ebay seller in Hong Kong about 2 month's back and was quoted -

1. Zeiss Ikon Body M $1450

2. 25mm Lens $1000

3. Lensshade $100.

4. Viewfinder for 25mm $412.

These prices exclude shipping. I guess all items are packaged with the usual International 1-year warranty (which may be rendered useless in ContUS as they are not considered local purchases from your authorised dealer).

More like Zeiss dropped him. Well they want to have their own dealer network to fix high prices. Stephen didnt feel he should promote a line from a company that treated him in such a way and too right too! Given that he kept the brand alive through his promotions while Hassleblad did absolutely nothing and this is how they repay him for his troubles. I think Zeiss lost a valuable marketing tool for their rangefinders.

I doubt Gandy had any direct relationship with Zeiss. So there is no way "Zeiss would drop him".

He was selling the line grey market. I believe he mentioned that his grey market source(s) had dried up because Zeiss wants to take control of its own distribution.

Stephan emailed me back, explaining what has already been said: Zeiss is drying up the gray market supply. He still has a lot of stock left, though. I ordered a 25mm finder just now. Might as well get it while the getting's good. We won't see these prices again. ;>(

Bill,

Stephen is a Cosina dealer, Zeiss put pressure on Cosina to put pressure on Stephen. Popflash isn't a Cosina dealer thus Tony Rose can still can get grey ZM stuff while Stephen can't. Stephen doesn't want to loose his Cosina dealership.

Anthony, some second thoughts on your theory that Zeiss is putting pressure on CameraQuest through Cosina. Photo Village is also a CV dealer/distributor like CQ. They are still carrying the ZI & the ZM lenses & they have now discounted the ZI to $1199 - less than Gandy's price.

The Zeiss Ikon cameras can be had for merely 1000 US equivalent everywhere in Japan ... maybe cheaper if you walk in stores. So even if Zeiss cut all supplies from wholesale dealers, theoratically, anyone could still buy in streets (from retailers) and still make a lot of money in America.

And it'll only be pushed down even further when the digital version surfaces later this year.

Rob, we have no reason to believe that Rich is delaying any announcement. Although he has discounted the body, he has been selling the lenses at MSRP all along, so he is in a little different position that Stephen Gandy, who was selling the lenses discounted as well as the bodies. The point is that Stephen could have done the same thing as Rich. He wasn't forced to drop the line.