110 Camera

Hi -

I am looking for a good 110 camera, something that will allow me to manage

exposure, i.e. shutter speed aperture etc.

Anyone know of a good solid model? I am aware of the Pentax 110 system and the

Minolta Mark I and II.

I was just hoping more of along the lines of a minolta 16 or mamiya-16 types

of cameras.

Thank you in advance.

I have a Pentax Auto 110 and it really does take amazing pictures. The only problem is that it is fully automatic with no control except for focus...the camera decides on the shutter speed and f-stop. Also, since it does not have a locking shutter, it is not the best pocket camera, as it tends to go off in your pocket. I have heared that the Canon 110ED is a great camera, but I have never used one. I have read that it has the fastest, and maybe sharpest lens on a 110 camera. Also, Minox and Rollei made some nice 110s. Stay away from the high-end Kodaks, as the batteries have not been made for ages, making them as obsolete as the beloved Minolta 16.

Actually my Minolta 16 II is is very much alive with some re-cut Delta 100 and a pair of salvaged old cassettes. I just thought I'd give the 110 format a try and see for myself. Here are two samples from my Minolta-16 II camera.<div>00GqZ2-30433684.jpg.2795ead07a95f6ff29efa87122627d5c.jpg</div>

Hi Ralf,

110's sure are alot of fun - and can give good results too. I have collected most models, and only a few stand up to scrutiny today.

The Minolta MKII Zoom is a great 'do it all' camera and has a great lens as well (which is very important). The aperture priority mode is very useful, and if you set the lens to 67 mm (equivalent to 135 mm on 35 mm system) and set a wide aperture, it makes a great portrait camera. Shutter button is wonderful to use as well.

My favourite 110 camera is the Canon 110 ED20, as it has a cracking lens (f 2) and aperture priority as well. It is quite heavy, but upon opening the camera up, the reason for the weight is soon evident - it is packed with quality workings, and it rare to have one with any problems even today. If the battery goes flat, you can remove it and the camera operates with a fixed 125th mechanical shutter. f2 on the Canon is great for portraits!

Some results are here:

http://www.photo.net/photo/4390428

and here:

http://www.photo.net/photo/4390365

the Canon lens is probably the best you will find on a 110 camera, and I think if you are going to use the 110 format, you should try for the best.

Concerning the Pentax system, I am afraid they leave me luke-warm. They give a good result, but there is no control at all, and I do feel that to be even a little creative, you need aperture priority to specify whether you want a deep or shallow band of focus.

There are wonderful Rollei and Minox 100 cameras as well, but I would avoid these as the Rollei tends not to wear well and often has mechanical woes and the Minox uses mercury batteries, and does not like the WEIN cell replacements.

Go for a Canon 110 ED 20 I say.

Hope I have helped a little,

Ian

Kodak Ektramax.

It was a late model, top-of-the-line 110 camera from Kodak. It has an f2.9 lens which focuses, and using the instruction manual exposure information you can manually set a full range of exposure combinations. The battery is used only for the internal electronic flash.

Costs about $10-$20 on e-Bay when you can find them.

-Paul

Paul-

Although the Ektramax is great on paper, there are some issues. Namely the lens is not overly sharp at any aperture, and as it is f1.9 and only has zone focus it is not easy to use the lens wide open and get the focus where you want it (depth of field is very small). However set it to infinity or use the smaller apertures and it is quite good - the flash is superb.

One other thing about it is that the film is not clamped very tightly - the pressure springs are nothing too special.

It really does need a rangefinder....

Good value though!

Ian

Ian

I second (or third) the Canon 110ED-20! I've taken wonderful photos with mine (especially night street scenes at f/2). You'll probably want to get the 110ED-20 model instead of the earlier 110ED (which did not support 400 ASA film). The Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 may be a bit sharper (with its custom-designed aspheric lens), though as mentioned before, its battery is hard to find (I got mine on eBay from a guy in Australia). Minolta also made some nice non-SLR 110 cameras, but I don't think their results were as good as the Canon's or Kodak's.

I bought one of the early Kodak Model 60s with a rangefinder and a glass lens. It produced nice shots on verichrome pan film--as long as you didn't want to blow them up past 5x7. I normall used Microdal-X developer for the film. Haven't followed 110 film in recent years. Is it still available?

There's no B&W film in 110 anymore. That's why I sold my Pentax 110 kit years. Fuji, Kodak, and Solaris make 110 film in 200 & 400 speeds. Wal-Mart still sells Fuji 110 200 speed film.

My Minolta MG is still running strong - needs no batteries!

Right Ian:

f1.9. I have a little trouble with my left pinkie on the Dell keyboard.

Actually, the springs aren't too bad on my Ektramax. If they are a little weak, I think they can be shimmed with a little springy foam.

I think it is one of the few 110 cameras that will give you manual aperture control of a sort, and also does not require a K battery.

The Pocket Instamatic 60 did not have an index adjustment for 400 speed film. That was not introduced by Kodak until the Trimlite 48. I think the only films still available in 110 are ISO 400, so that results in a lot over-exposure. In fact, many if not all of the ISO 400 films are in cartridges indexed for ISO 100 anyway. The tabs have to be cut back in order to trigger the ISO 400 setting in cameras that can be adjusted.

The Canon 110 ED is a real treasure. It is very well made and uses the same battery as the Canon AE-1, so it is readily available. I paid less than $20 for mine and have seen several others at similar prices.

-Paul

I am also a big fan of the Minolta 16. The film issues keep me from using it any more, as I don't develop my own. I use the Minox B mostly, since I can easily get color or b&w film, but it is pretty expensive to run. 110 is a great option becase the film is very cheap to buy ($2.50 at Walgreen's) and cheap to process.

Ah yes... The Kodak Ektramax! It feels and looks like a typical "cheapie plastic 110". But it does give some exposure options and has that fast 1.9 lens. If you buy one on eBay, though, be sure to verify that the flash still works. I've bought three of them over the years (at yard sales and on eBay), and NONE of their flashes worked. May be a weak point for them!

I found a Canon 110ED in a local thrift store last weekend. I was suprised at how heavy it was. The lens was very impressive, more so from inside the camera than outside. It was only $1.50. I suppose I should have bought it but I was worried it might not work with all its electronics.

There were two Pocket Instamatic 60 models. The first one had an /2.7 lens and the second an f/1.9. Both are nice if you can find them in good condition. I have a Trimlite 48 with the f/2.7 Ektar. The lens is very sharp. I like it better than the standard lens on my Pentax Auto 110. I have a Minolta 110 Zoom SLR (not the Mark II) and it is decent in good light. I also have a bunch of bar shaped Minolta zone focus 110 models. If they are used properly they can give surprisingly good results. My problem is finding decent processing. If you want to scan the negs and print digitally you need very high res scans.

Jeff,

If you are willing to pay a premium price to process your 110 film try sending it to Blue Moon Camera (bluemooncamera.com) It will be quite a bit more $ than the local drug store, but if it is something really important it is worth it. I send them my Minox and Minolta 16, and they do an amazing job with it.

• 3 years later...

<p>My top 110 cameras:<br>

Minox 110s - by a mile ... for the control freak .. very fragile film transporter though<br>

Rollei E110- excellent design, simple to use, outstandingly sharp T* lens<br>

Canon 110ed 20 .... built to last, super quality, nice date stamp gimmick<br>

Vivitar 742 xl ..... a rare rare misunderstood babe, better built than ektramax very smart features.<br>

Ektramax ....... Excellent lens, easy to use, no batteries required (only for flash) very cheap plastic , a bit big.<br>

Minolta slr110 MkII- very solid, great zoom lens when you can get focus right.<br>

cannot forget:<br>

Pentax 110 super: very cute, flexible, but results not as sharp as a few of the above cameras.<br>

Old instamatic 60- If you can find a K type battery<br>

These are the only cameras a serious 110 enthusiast should own. Photo results are quality, not the cheap rubbish most 110 cameras were.</p>