1d Mark II N now or wait?

efuchs1

Well, photokina is in less than 2 weeks, and Canon often announces new gear at that time.

The 1DII (pre-N, but it's the same sensor) was announced 2 1/2 years ago, about 2 1/2 years after the original 1D.

The 1DsII was announced 2 years ago, about 2 years after the original 1Ds.

The DRebXTi has more pixels than a 30D.

The 5D hasn't been around for very long.

Based on those facts, it's up to you to decide what you feel is best - buy now, or delay your decision by a few weeks.

<p><I>"Buy the 1D2N now. Only the 1Ds2 is due for replacement soon and it's going to cost about $8000 at least.</I></P>

<P>A Canon rep said some time ago (after the 1Ds MkII and IIn were released) that in the next 1-series camera, they would stop having one model for speed, and one for resolution - they would combine the two.</P>

<P>Of course, that statement is probably a couple of years old now, their plans may have chnaged. But, if you're only going to wait two weeks to see what they announce, that may be tolerable.</p>

With digital cameras, and the frequent upgrades (even if they seem to be slowing down a bit now), my advice is that if updating is a question, it's not time to do it. Only time you upgrade is when what you have is (for whatever reason) totally unacceptable. And that will still probably be too often! :-) So if waiting is at all tolerable, I'd at least wait till next year if you have something that works at all for you now. This assumes that the monetary cost of upgrading is significant for you. If it is a minor cost, and it makes you happy, I say go for it with no spite or irony in mind at all.

I (mostly) put my money where my mouth is on this. A Canon 1Ds (original) is still my main camera. I did upgrade my backup from an EOS 10D to a Rebel XTi just a couple of weeks ago, though.

Mike: I have a 5D now, a few long lenses (300/4 and 400/5.6) and I'm wondering whether the smaller pixels of the XTi would be a good choice. Did you have any chance to use the XTi with L primes? If yes, can the lenses resolve details as small as the sensor can capture, or is the sensor overkill?

I totally agree with Mike - with most digital equipment ypu should just dive in when you

absolutely NEED to, then you can have no regrets about future price drops or incrimental

upgrades...

Obviously if a new model is due out very soon, it may be worth hanging on for a while if you

can. However, with the unreliability of the rumor mill and misleading information, it may

make sense to simply let your needs rule - that way your purchase price / equipment

iteration is just a snapshot of the technolgy status and price point at the time that you really

needed the equipment!

The fps of the 1DII and (n) and the large buffer are still extremely high but the resolution is no longer up to snuff. The lowly XTi with it's 10 MP and built in 1.6 converter for telephoto photography would clearly outperform the 1DII and (n) which are about 4 to 5 times the price on the used market let alone what you would pay for a new one.

You don't really need a rugged body since what ever you buy will be eclipsed before your camera is done. Until digital technology levels off in a few years you won't need to be looking for a body to last 8 to 15 years.

I don't shoot sports professionally but I have extremely good luck getting lots of soccer, motor racing, swimming and skiing shots with 3 fps and a 9 image buffer on a 1.6x body. The 1DII and (n) is a lot to pay just for speed.

As for up coming new models, don't you think the only significant difference will be more pixels, maybe more FPS/buffer, a few more features, but at the end of the day, same dynamic range, same 12 bits/channel, and maybe a tad better noise performance...and if this is the case, then these new models will not show significant image quality increases...just more of the same IQ wise, but perhaps at lower price points...just a guess.

"only" - For now I'll take more pixels, higher fps/buffer, and at much less cost! A 10MB, 8 fps, 30 RAW buffer, 1.6x, non-pro DSLR for $1500 USD is extremely possible now that the XTi is out for $800 USD. I think someone above mentioned the 1DSII replacement would be $8000 USD. I think Canon will follow their own trends and drop this considerably too. Probably more like $5000-$6000 USD which puts downward pressure on all used and previous new in stock models. Although I don't expect to see this camera until sometime in 2007.

<p>I just clipped these off B&H website. The days of the $8,000 eos dslr are history. I'd wait a few more weeks and see how these prices change.

<p>Canon Price : $ 3,539.95

EOS-1D Mark II N, 8.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body)

<p> Canon Price : $ 6,869.95

EOS-1DS Mark II, 16.7 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body)

<p> Canon Price : $ 4,999.95 EOS-1Ds, 11.1 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body)

"The fps of the 1DII and (n) and the large buffer are still extremely high but the resolution is no longer up to snuff. The lowly XTi with it's 10 MP and built in 1.6 converter for telephoto photography would clearly outperform the 1DII and (n) which are about 4 to 5 times the price on the used market let alone what you would pay for a new one."

You're joking right? I hope so, or you have never used a 1DMKII(N) before. Tell me please how the XTi will outperform the 1D. The only thing it has *on paper* is 2 more MP, but that's meaningless. You can get a digicam for 8MP. Will that outperform the 1D @ 8MP?

Bogdan

I'm with Bogdan on this one. I have shot motorsports with the Drebel, 20D and 30D with ok results. In that or any other sports enviroment it's not about resolution and crop factor but focus speed and focus accuracy. The 1D Mark II N is just light years ahead of the prosumer models in that regard. Wow what difference. I would buy now and enjoy :)

db