6x6 slideshows.. look good? how to mount?

One thing which really amazes me about 35mm film, is how good it looks when projected! Now, I just a

photo of some 6x6 slides taken with a Rolleiflex GX in a slide tray..

Anyone ever seen 6x6 projected? It must look insane!! My next question, is how can you mount 6x6? Can

you buy a little machine and the mounts?

Can you still scan them in a Coolscan 9000 mounted? or would I want to scan them first?

Daniel.<div>00Grj5-30459284.jpg.7e47c1f96a91b1360b3ab5eeeef73f85.jpg</div>

Projected MF slides look incredible. I don't have experience projecting 6x6 but I do with 6x7 which is essentially the same except 6x6 has more projector options.

First off, you need to buy 6x6 slide mounts and mount the slides yourself. I use Gepe glass mounts. Mounting the slides is a bit fiddly but not too hard. Some lintless gloves would help. You do it by hand, not with a machine.

Theoretically, a glass slide mount would work well to scan from except that the CP9000 doesn't have an appropriate holder. Neither does any other MF capable scanner that I'm aware of.

The GEPE mounts a good. Yes scan first then mount. Once you saw the projection you will not care to scan anyway ^^.

The LS8000 has no problem to scan mounted slides - even then I take the slides out for scanning. You get four glass/air surfaces less.

I use a Hasselblad to take the transparencies and a Kindermann projector to show the images. I've worked with both 35mm and 6x6 slides and the latter are clearly superior in terms of color depth, sharpness and so on. I use Gepe glass slide mounts - the transparency is mounted between two pieces of glass. I've mounted hundreds using this approach. Frankly it is very time consuming because glass surfaces and transparency surfaces have to be free of dust and other matter before clamping the two glass pieces together.

Some people use cardboard mounts - but I believe the glass approach is better for protection of the transparency and to prevent warping due to heat of the projector. Others may disagree on this.

I project 6x6 and 6x4.5 transparencies using Gepe anti-Newton glass mounts in a Hasselblad PCP80 projector. The projected images are stunning; it's the reason why I don't shoot digital. I scan the mounted transparencies on an Epson 4990 flatbed scanner. Mounting the transparencies is easy and no special mounting equipment or film cutter is necessary. I also enjoy projecting 35mm slides, but there's no comparison to projecting medium format. Jerry.

I use a Rolleiflex 3.5F and a Hasselblad 503 MF systems. I mount slides with Gepe anti-

Newton glass mounts then project with a Hasselblad projector. The results are the best by a

huge margin compared with 35mm projection or digital images. For slides that I want to

scan, I use a Nikon FH-869M holder that is designed for 645, 66 and 67 mounted slides on

Nikon 9000ED scanner.

Daniel, I can only echo what other people have said about 6 x 6 slides. I use a Leitz Prado Universal which is a wonderful projector.

I have tried glassless mounts, but the results are very poor - it's almost impossible to obtain uniform sharpness across the screen due to the large film area - 120 film is a lot more difficult to keep flat than 35mm. If you want sharp slides you have use glass mounts - I use GEPE which are about the best of a bad bunch.

The most difficult thing as others have mentioned, is mounting the slides without any dust - easier said than done, believe me!

I can only concur with much of what has been said above but do be careful, GEPE 6x6 glass mounts are expensive for a box of 20. It can take the edge of MF slide photography. I use card mounts for normal use, reasonably cheap for a box of a 100. I have many from over 30 years ago and they are still going strong.