80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor (Type D)- Operation

b_va

It is my understanding that this lens was initially designed for film cameras.

I am curious as to how one uses its aperture ring when mounted on a D200. Other

than in program mode, do you control the aperture as you would with a film

camera? And what is the lens approximate 35mm equivalent, 120mm-300mm?

Thanks for your thoughts

I have this lens - well, I think it's the one you're referring to. It's still available from Nikon and came out before the AF-S without the VR. It was available before DSLR's, so it was designed for film cameras but it works just fine on my Fuji S2. The equivalent is 120-300, which is 1.5x the focal length.

On many of the film cameras like the F100 and F5, the aperture is set from the front control wheel on the camera body - same as how you'd do it on a D200. Some cameras have a custom function to use the aperture ring instead of camera body control, but give the camera body control a chance - you'll wonder how you did without it before. Does this answer your question...?

Set the ring to minimal aperture value - read D200 Manual.

Focal length of the lens remains the same and it will be always 80-200 mm.

Only angle of view will be reduced by the 1.5x crop factor, so it may appear in your viewfinder as a longer lens (by 1.5x), but visibly it will certainly not bring distant subjest any closer than whem comparing to by installing the same lens on 35 mm film camera

By making full sceen view or print of the final picture from D200, when the crop factor does not matter then, the effect will be (almost) as picture taken with the 1.5x longer lens.

You would achieve the same effect on your film camera with the same lens just by selecting central portion of the full frame film equal to the size of D200 sensor, that is enlarging center by 1.5x

I have this exact combo (mine is two generations old) running. Basically, if you look at the apeture ring, there is a littl button near F22. Mount on your camera, go to F22 and lock it in. From there the body can control apeture just like if you were doing it by hand. This is the same way you mount on newer film bodies (exactly the same as my N80). The controls are exactly the same as the N80 for controling the lens, heck, they are even in the same spots (The D200 just has more "extra" buttons). The lens/body combo of these two is excellent. As for aprox. 35mm length, you nailed it dead on. If you use photoshop to convert the NEFs, not only will it tell you the focal length you shot at with the lens, but its equivalent in 35mm (or was that bibble?).

Happy shooting.

You have a choice.

On the D200 (and D1 and D2 series) you can control the aperture in A and M exposure modes by a) the command dials (set the aperture ring to f/22) or b) directly via the lens aperture ring (as with many film bodies). Your control preference can be set via custom setting f5. See page 170-171 in the D200 instruction manual.