christening and other pricing

laurenm

I did search the archives, but didn't find much... Yesterday I acted as

photographer at my cousin's bridal shower. Without seeing my pictures, it led to

several possible photography jobs. Since I am just starting and have lots to

learn, I am often tempted to do things free fro the experience. I have been

cautioned for good reason against this and the potential clients (friends of

family) will insist on paying, so before speaking with them further...

What are some common reasonable charges for...

Christening (would prob be ceremony and party after)

Baby portraits (I can prob figure this one out)

Golf clinic for kids (not sure yet what is wanted for this job, so I guess you

can't advise - I'm thinking the instructor wants pics of the teaching for

himself, but I also thought maybe both action and posed shots that parents could

buy and maybe that would be the charge? - cost to buy prints)

I guess mostly I'm curious about the Christening as I can't imagine people

charge as much as for a wedding

Hope I've given enough info! Thanks

Good quality pro photos will cost about the same....what difference is it if it is a wedding, anniversary party, baptism, etc? There is also nothing wrong with doing the photos for free or at cost until you're work is up to pro standards. However, even then, if you're shooting for friends/family things can get a little or alot weird,...especially in the area of prices. I tend to give alot away when it comes to friends/family.

Thanks david, I guess there is no difference in the actual photo shoot and prints. It's just less hours on the day, less prep before and possibly, no album design.

In this case, even if I insist on doing it for free, or just having them buy the prints, which I had considered, my Aunt's friend will probably try and pay me more than a pro would have charged. She tends to be overly generous

Lol ! Yes, I'm lucky to be surrounded by great people! They are always overpaying and over tipping. I just don't want the guilt of being on the receiving end of their generosity. They aren't as wealthy as they may act at times, in fact not wealthy at all. Aunt's friend is a divorced high school teacher, just a very generous person. - So I want to find out when she tries to overpay me, what a fair price is. I'm thinking what pros would charge, then subtract for my level of experience (or lack of)

thanks Jay, I was thinking somewhere around there.

Tim, thanks a bunch, your answer is about as definitive as my question! lol Truthfully, yours is so far the one I'm going with. I think I'll kind of play it by ear. I'm loving the opportunity and the less money paid, the less pressure. Really, I just wanted to know what a pro WOULD charge.

<i>... the less money paid, the less pressure.</i><br><br>

Hey Lauren - I'm not challenging you directly, but more submitting this for ideas from others (perhaps should be another thread!): Do others believe this to be true? While less money may not mean a life-changing, must-capture moments will happen like at a wedding, there is still pressure to produce, isn't there? You don't want to disappoint parents at a christening any more than you want to disappoint a bride and groom. Perhaps I put too much pressure on myself, but the amount of money involved has very little to do with pressure to me. I want to get results, and have satisfied clients, regardless of the amount exchanging hands.<br><br>

Lauren, I'm not suggesting you coast and don't give your all on low-cost events, and to a degree I understand your intent with the statement. I just wonder if others place equal pressure on themselves regardless of event and money charged.

Steve, I shouldn't have worded it that way. Glad you left me some room to wiggle out of it. What my intent was with the statement was that if they were paying me a ton of money, they would expect results which are at the level of other professionals with much more experience than me. I feel "safer" if being paid less money, that they are getting what I am really worth instead of overpaying me.

I would and do always put 200% and more into ANYTHING I have ever done in life and the same is true with photography. I'll be a wreck for this job just as I would for anyI take great pride, but with that comes never thinking your stuff is good enough. Hence, the feeling that I always have that my work is not worth that much. Hopefully, I'll get over the value part of that thinking if I ever want to make money with photography.

Not sure if I'm explaining myself correctly. Do you know what I mean?

I do know what you mean Lauren! Even though I have clients who are very happy with the work produced, I am often very happy with about 5% of what I deliver. I think another 45% or so is solid, if not spectacular work, and the rest is OK, but just not that great.

However, I had a bride see her photos for the first time last Thursday and cry when she saw them. In addition, she sent me an email today just to follow up on how pleased she was and that her friends and family loved the pictures. Yet of the 500 photos I delivered, there were only 20 or so (4%) that I think would be worthy of a portfolio presentation.

I completely understand what you mean Lauren about being one's own worst critic.

Thanks Steve, i certainly didn't want to come across as not putting my all into a job. When I was young, if I came home with a 90% on a spelling test, my mother's reaction was "maybe next time". Guess that started me into this thinking of not being good enough though I don't know that I'm ready to say I'm pleased with 45% of my work. I just shot my cousin's bridal shower and she was thrilled with the pictures, while i thought most were "ok". Well, now that I think of it, I guess half were ok. Also, the first wedding I did a month ago, the bride said she loved them and was so happy that she looked good because she always hates pictures of herself and never though she was photogenic. guess that's a great comment, but can't help thinking I could have done better.

Anyway, glad you understand what I was trying to say!