Leica M8-Dead of the film cameras

havenornirvana

"I think Leica M8 approve that film camera time is over. What you think?"

What do I think? I think the introduction of the M8 has generated some of the most ridiculous comments, trolls included, I have ever seen on the Leica Fo... uh, excuse me Leica AND RANGEFINDER FORUM.

On the other hand, I am happy for my friends who are excited by this new camera and hope that the M8 will be the ticket for keeping the venerated name of Leica in the field of photography for a long time.

<i><blockquote> nope. i think film cameras will still be used, esp for B&W photography. People didnt stop painting when cameras were invented.

</blockquote> </i><p>

Yes, a tiny percentage of people didn't stop using the goose quill in the 19th century when the mass production of metal pens came about. A tiny percentage of people didn't stop using horses when the car was invented. A tiny percentage of people didn't stop using typewriters with the advent of the computer. And a tiny percentage of people continue to eschew photography solely for painting.

"I always like the posts that compare the death of film to new film SLR sales. Do they even

think about looking up the number of used SLRs sold?"

Gosh, no, I never have thought of looking up the number of used SLRs sold. So if you have

the number, please reveal it to the rest of us. Regardless, when SLR film cameras are no

longer being manufactured, film will, for all practical purposes, be dead except as a niche

item. Personally, I love film, but that's the way I see it.

<i><blockquote> I always like the posts that compare the death of film to new film SLR sales. Do they even think about looking up the number of used SLRs sold?

</blockquote> </i><p>

Why not consider the sales of film? <p>

Since the year 2000, film sales declined yearly by double-digit percentages. The decline accelerated over time, and in 2005 worldwide film sales decreased by 25%. <p>

Moreover of all film sales worldwide, around 40% goes into cheapo, one-time-use cameras.

Film will be dead the day you can't buy it anymore. End of story.

Given how easy it is to buy film where I live, and how many people are buying 2nd hand film cameras of all formats and brands every time i visit the shops here, I figure that day must be some years off yet.

And until then, those who want to can continue to enjoy it.

IMO the M8 will breath new life for shooting with film for the Leica M class.

I know that for myself I am leaning towards the M8 and the new T-E Wide to compliment my

M6TTL and T-E, along with my 35/2.0, 50/2.0, and 90/2.8.

Shame on me for not using my M6TTL more often, but I like the ease of digital. But I see my

M6TTL getting more use because of the T-E Wide. Sure as time goes on film will be more

expensive, with fewer choices. And there may be a time that only a handful of labs in the US

will still process film. But film will still live on for a decent number of years.

2006 film sales for film cameras (as opposed to for use in one-time-use plastic cameras) will perhaps be 10% of what film sales were in 2000. Black and white film sales have historically been around 5% of total film sales. If you think that Tri-X, especially with Kodak's precarious financial position and headlong rush into digital, will be here in 50 years, I'd like to take your bet. But you'll probably be pushing up daisies by then as well.