CARL ZEISS lenses and CONTAX RTS/RTS 2.

Dear Forum,

have the following CARL ZEISS Lenses 28/2.8,45/2.8,50/1.7 and 85/2.8.

These Lenses run flawlessly on the CONTAX RTS.

Hoever, on the RTS 2, the mirror gets stuck after every shot with all of the

above lenses. The Lens has to be removed from the Camera mount before the Mirror

drops back.

However this doesnt happen with the SIGMA 24/2.8 and the KENKO Tele Conveter!

It also is ok when the KENKO TELE CONVERTER is mounted on the RTS 2 and then

either of the CARL ZEISS lens is mounted on this KENKO.

Please, advise what can be wrong?? Are the lenses ok?

is the RTS 2 body at fault?

Or am I mounting them wrong or mis-using them??

Would be happiest if thes lenses work fine on BOTH the RTS & RTS 2.

Regards, Suni Manga.

I believe that it is RTSII body at fault! It is rather common phenomenon of this Contax model - quite a lot of users report "sticky mirrors". Be careful with further experiments with the camera - there are reports from some users where the mirror has got displaced to an extent that it hits the rear element of the lens, damaging it.

Vinzenzo!

Does this mean that Yashica FR gear could be used as a spare part for RTS II?

I agree, RTS III is generally a "superior" camera, but the fact that RTS II has manual winder, is smaller, lighter and simpler makes it a "better" camera for some people and some applications. :-)

Hi, dear Didzis. The gears spare parts of the Yashica FR series are lost by many years.

About the question of the weight, after that i have used the Topcon Super DM with Auto Topcor 58 mm f/ 1,4 and motor drive (1600 grams!) in the mythic '70s, any camera seem light for me!

I'm a Nikon user (SLR 35 mm) and Leica and Voigtlander user in the rangefinders. If i should buy the Contax equipment, i should buy the RTS III and the S2, with 18/4, 21/2.8, 28/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 100/2 and 28/85 and 80/200.

Ciao

Vincenzo Maielli Italy

Sumil,

Your problem lies with the mirror and carriage bond. I've had the same problem with my RTS2. I sent my body into Kyocera a few years back to make the repair, but they just reapplied the mirror adhesive. The problem started hapenning again, so I aligned the mirror with the leading edge of the carriage and applied some silicone adhesive along the edge.

So farm after a few years, the problem did not reoccur. You'll find new life in your RTS2 after this minor fix. You'll also learn to love your set of Zeiss lenses again. Hope this helps.

Gary

HiFORUM,Solved the stuck Mirror Problem.

Thanks List. Your suggestions were very VALUABLE.

Having asessed your replies...i decided to take the RTS 2 into my hands.

From the mails it was clear that the Mirror is stuck to the frame with adhesive. With our HOT weather...average 40*C...it seemed likely as the problem.

Flipped the mirror halway up with the manual lever, then thumb-pressed the mirror backwards into the body.

And miracle!! The Mirror started up and down like the Normal operation it should have been.

The FORUM has been very helpful and prompt in reply.

Many Thanks. Sunil Manga.