Review Fuji Finepix S3 Pro UVIR

w.a._steiner

I guess now I know why I'm not active here anymore and I try to keep my research work for myself. Just to many emotions, assumptions etc. involved here instead of proven facts.

And btw. Bjoern is one of the few who actually shows what he has accomplished in years of hard work, there are just to many "arm chair quarterbacks" active unfortunately. At least Wolgang posts his results on his site although he might be wrong sometimes and a pure artistc attitude might not be enough, he lets us participate in his findings.

As Vivek once mentioned, it needs a lens which transmits 300..350...400nm, and there are quite a few, also wide angles up to 28mm, a suitable UV transmitting, IR suppressing filter either in front, in the back or inserted into the filter wheel like the Baader filter (thanks Bjoern for exploring this and reporting it to the community here) and a camera with a sensor which records 300...350..400nm significantly like the cheap D70 or D200. That's "simply" it. So get out, shoot and let us see some real UV shots and leave attitude, emotions, big-headedness etc. at home - wasn't that the idea of photo.net - once???

Thanks, and now I'm out here and further optimizing my UV wide angles lenses....

Klaus<div>00I48E-32403984.thumb.jpg.9fd30bdf70dfcaa0509257ca0a6baa82.jpg</div>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Hello:

You all might enjoy some of my reflected-UV photographs at www.uvcorder.com in the applications section. They are not the usual flower photographs. The UVCorder is an ultraviolet video camera I developed. The camera is quite insensitive to both IR and visible light, and takes true UV images outdoors in sunlight, and even under quartz tungsten halogen illumination if there are no UV blocking filters on the lamps. I have taken pains to make the camera spectrally pure with high out-of-band rejection. It is sensitive from 330 to 400nm - measured with an Oriel Cornerstone 130 scanning monochromator.

I teach a masters level class at Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara (www.brooks.edu). My students have used the UVCorder to preview a UV scene before taking pictures with one of two Fuji UVIR cameras the school just bought. We are using a filter stack consisting of UG-1 glass and a bandpass filter that blocks NIR but passes UV from maxmax.com. it is called the BP-1. I got a 58mm filter and then i step it down to 52mm. I also have UG-1 in a 52mm ring that used to have a 2A filter in it. www.rolyn.com cut a piece of UG-1 to a diameter that fits in the ring.

Regards, Dr. Austin Richards www.austinrichards.com

• 5 months later...
I've been really pleased with the S3 UVIR, and have been using it with the UV-Nikkor 105mm F/4.5 Lens with a variety of IR filters: R72, RM90, Wratten 87B & 87C and the RM100 at 1000nm. I have found it helpful to mount an auxilliary viewfinder in the flash shoe. This way I can focus, adjust exposure, etc with the live preview and once set properly, frame the following photos using the viewfinder. I have a review and example photos at www.InfraredVideo.com

• 1 month later...

This is a very long shot in the dark, but...

On the morning of August 20, between midnignt and 4:00AM, someone stole my Fujifilm S3 Pro UVIR and accessory bag. The serial number is 63A90313. If anyone happens to run across it, please let me know.

If returned, NO QUESTIONS WILL BE ASKED!