Vivitar 283 auto thryrisor

sarah_wilkinson

hi!

My husband took photo journalism in college and used this flash on his Nikon

FM10. if that is what it's called. but I have since started using the camera

mostly for outdoor shots because I am unfamiliar with how to use the flash.

Since he hasn't used it in years, he doesn't remember the settings and such.

If anyone can help me get started useing this, I would greatly appreciate the

help.

Or should I just invest in a newer flash?

thanks

Sarah

Be advised that sometimes old flashes lose their ability to recharge themselves fully. Make sure you shoot a test roll, or check the flash's out put with a flash meter before shooting any important flash shots. These are great flash units, inspite of their simplicity they're quite capable for professional use.

There isn't really a lot to operating these. Set the ISO of the film in use, and the flash's scales on the back show you your distances and available F stops. The camera also needs to be set at or below, it's maximum sync speed too.

I certainly agree with the suggestion to read the manual. I bought two used Vivitar 283 flashes because they are so popular and generally thought of extremely highly. My experience with both, bought from separate sellers - one a professional, so you know it was well used - has been consistently good. I think you will have the same experience. One caution which you can probably ignore if your husband has used the flash with the FM10 without trouble: Modern electronic cameras will not accept a flash which has a high voltage trigger current without being damaged. Some 283s have the high voltage. Some do not. I cannot recall how you tell and since I don't use mine on a modern electronic camera, I have no concerns. If your husband used the flash on the FM10 without trouble, you should have no problems. If there is a question, check the Vivitar site. Dave

I've had half a dozen Vivitar 283/285 units and they're the best shoe-mount strobe ever made. They were standard equipment in newspaper/wire service photography when I worked for UPI and elsewhere. Absolutely dependable, never gave any problems whatsoever, easy to use and dirt cheap. Turn the knob on front to yellow on a 283, set the lens at f/8 with 400 speed film and that's all there is to it. It's good out to be about 40 feet. On the 285 set it to red and 5.6 for 400. Nothing else to set -- the dial on the side is only a guide to tell you which color corresponds to which f-stop and does not control the output of the strobe.