Return to Angkor Wat/Siem Reap

cfimages

Hi all,

I'm about to make a short trip to Angkor Wat/Siem Reap are in Cambodia. I was

there a few years ago during the hot season (March) and while I did enjoy it, I

was fairly underwhelmed with the images I took. Of course, I have improved as a

photographer in the 5 years since I was there, and have much better equipment

now particularly in terms of glass. So I except to get much better images of the

temples now, especially as it will be the end of the rainy season, so everything

should be green and lush (instead of dry and dusty like last time).

One area I didn't get to last time was the floating/fishing villages on the

Tonle Sap. So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about which are the better

places to go for photo's. Through google, I've found 2 villages other than the

one where the PP boat arrives, but I can't find many photo's online to see what

they're like.

Any info about these Tonle Sap villages would be great. Also, any advice on

alternative sunrise/sunset spots that are a bit different to usual would be great.

Many thanks,

Craig

Craig,

I can't help you WRT lake villages. I was on a transport "speed" boat from PP to Siem Reap in late 1996. I think you'll have to hire private transport, certainly not expensive.

Some suggestions:

Be flexible. Leave enough time to explore what you're looking for.

Rent a scotter in SR, helps avoid the "prime-time" tour busses, although, there weren't many back then.

Go early, stay late, less crowds. I'm sure tourism has picked-up in the last 10-years. Back then I had some temples to myself.

The resort on the way to Angkor was under construction. I wouldn't stay there. I liked the city center.

There is one temple (can't remember the name properly, i think it is bantay srei) which is about 20km from the main cluster. It apparently turns pinkish at sunrise/ sunset according to the guide at my guesthouse. He took us there at midday so I can't vouch for this personally. It may also depend on the time of year. It would be difficult to get to ( ?rent a scooter), but if you manage it, you may well be on your own.

Not sure about lake villages, but if you stay at a guesthouse they will usually sort you out for transport and directions/ guides if the price is right.

Enjoy

Craig, I have a few shots of one of those villages on Tonle Sap; they are not terrific because I only had a Nikon CoolPix 950 with me on that trip. I don't recall the name of the village off hand, but it was right next to a very high hill which is the well-known site of a particularly old Khmer temple. It is interesting to do the boat trip through the floating village - some amazing sights. I have only a few shots of that area online on the page linked to below, they begin with the b&w shot of men wearing hats on a boat, and end with what appears to be an arial view, but is in fact taken from the aforementioned hill.

<p>

<a href>http://www.griffinbyteworks.com/photography/cambodia/</a>

<p>

As for other interesting places, yes, Bantei Srei mentioned above by James is worthwhile. I would also suggest, a bit further afield, Beng Melea, which is about 60kms from Siem Reap (takes over an hour by motorscooter driver each way). It is very overgrown, and exploring this complex involves clambering over giant blocks and great tree trunks and jumping down walls, etc. It is unlike any other temple complex in this respect (even Ta Promh, which has been left intentionally somewhat overgrown, but is really fairly well "groomed" for the visitor), and for that reason offers a very eerie feeling. Moody lighting for photography, too: I suggest afternoon. I have only two shot taken there online at the link above (a b&w shot of a boy in the ruins, and another of monks hauling wood by oxcart past a landmine warning), but I found this website for you on Beng Melea with lots of info:<p>

<a href>http://www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/temples/temp-bengmelea.htm</a>

<p>

Have a great trip!<br>

Kai

Thanks guys.

Kai, some great shots you have there. I read about Beng Melea a few hours after I posted my original question. It looks amazing, I'm definitely going to make a trip out there. It wasn't open for tourism when I was there in 2001 (I read they only finished making it landmine safe in 2003), but it makes you wonder how many other temples are still hidden in the jungles waiting to be "discovered".

Craig, there are *lots* of undiscovered temple sites (or at least, foundations of them). At the time those photos were taken, my wife was participating as a "helping hand" with a group of Australian archeologists who were conducting a variety of research projects & digs, etc. A few of them were involved with analysing aerial and satellite imagery of the region north of Siem Reap, towards the Lao border. While we were there, they identified two enormous previously unknown temple complexes hidden beneath the jungle & earth. Slight variations in topography & vegetation in the images revealed the same telltale squares layouts found at Angkor itself. Since then, I believe others have been identified by the same technique, and they've already begun to investigate some of them in person (tough going, as these sites are mostly quite remote). The Khmers were certainly obsessive builders!

To get to the better villages on the lake, just find a moto driver you trust and tell them what you want to do. Ask him to take you off the beaten path (HARD to do near Siem Reap). With 1.2 million tourists going through that town every year, it's harder to find unspoiled areas nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

I see a number of people have mentioned renting a motor scooter. When I was at Angkor in 2003, it was said that foreigners could not rent motorscooters, and certainly cannot rent cars. I would double check on the regulation before planning on doing your own transportation.

Yes, Banteay Srei is magnificient. It is ornately carved, and the stone itself is reddish in color. Your best bet for transportation in the area is either a hired motor scooter driver or a hired car. Negotiate the price for the driver for the whole day, in advance. I have a contact there who is an excellent guide and can help you arrange any services you need, from hotels to transportation, and he is himself an excellent guide. Email me if you would like his contact info.

• 4 months later...

I booked a tour to the floating market from a Bangkok hotel tour desk on November or 2006. The tour included a speed boat cruise on a narrow and winding river. On arriving at the floating market, I took

a sampan tour around the floating market. However there was terrible

traffic jam on the river, I think I would be better off stayed in the

large market instead of in the middle of boat jam.

Hi Craig

I was there a couple of years ago, the whole area is amazing but avoid the floating village

near Siem Riep; a much better one is Komponh Phluk (may have spelt it wrong). I had to

leave my scooter at 4am until I ran out a road and then found a fisherman and paid him to

take me to the village - worth every penny.

You can see my pictures on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11992077@N00/sets/72157594467906377/

Tapas

For those Planning to go To Siem Reap and Angkor I have a lot of info and photos of the man temples of Angkor on www.peaceofangkorweb.com

The Tonle Sap Lake is a place I am passionate about photographically. Some of the villages out there are truly spectacular with people who are very open about being photographed.

Remote temples like Beng Mealea; Koh Ker Preah Vihear and Banteay Chhmar are incredible places to photograph. I consider myself very fortunate to live here; running small group photo adventure tours to all these places. It has been a photographic paradise and I hope the photos will inspire more photographers to come here,