Need help with lens choices

rebecca_b__new_york_

Hello, I'm new to photo.net but have really found your forums useful as I

research which lens to buy for my canon eos rebel g. I thought perhaps you guys

could weigh in?

I've been looking at the Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5II USM. My needs are pretty

modest as I just take pictures for myself and my friends and family. Is this the

basic do-it-all lens? My budget is pretty modest--$200.

I've been reading up on things to look out for when buying used (look for

"macro" not the little flower symbol," "made in japan." etc.) For this type of

basic lens is there any advantage to an older model? Or, are the new ones the

way to go?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

R.

I would suggest a Canon 50mm f/1.8 for ~$70 and while you master this lens do the necessary research that will help you plan any further purchases. Spend the remaining money on a new or even better a used tripod and maybe a polarizer. Even though you mention taking pictures of friends and family that can mean a lot of things. The 50mm will be a good start and there is no basic do-it-all lens that does everything "well" but a 28-105 will cover a lot of ground. I've never used that lens but there a lot of reviews out there. Happy reading.

Hi, it could be a reasonable choice but it also depends of what camera oyu have. If it is a digital camera you also must consider the crop factor (about X1.5) that transforms a 25-105 zoom in 44-168.

if digital why not to take also a look at 18-200 zooms?

Antonio

<p>The flower vs. macro thing is for the first generation of this lens, which Canon silently upgraded partway through its run. They replaced the 5-blade diaphragm of the original with a 7-blade diaphragm. There has been no such upgrade with the II version; it's always had the 7-blade diaphragm. Other than the diaphragm, all versions of this lens* are identical in every way that counts (glass and mechanics) and differ only in cosmetics.</p>

<p>This is a good consumer-grade zoom. It's definitely better than the cheapie kit lenses. Not as good as a pro lens, of course, but you wouldn't expect it to be when you consider how much more a pro lens costs. For a film body like yours, I find this to be a useful zoom range; one of the original versions of this lens was the first lens I got with my first EOS body. On your budget, I doubt you'll do much, if any, better.</p>

<p>Another option of similar optics, mechanics, and price is the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Some say it's a bit better, some a bit worse, but it's generally regarded to be in the same ballpark. Some people find 24 to be a more useful wide end than 28; others find 105 to be a more useful long end than 85. Which one is right for you depends on what's important to you.</p>

<p>If you can afford to add the 50/1.8, either now or soon, you should definitely consider doing so; it's dirt cheap, will allow you to shoot in about a quarter as much light as you'd need for one of these zooms, and is a very sharp lens. In the olden days, many people used to have nothing but a 50 for their cameras, and it is indeed possible to shoot with nothing but a 50, but with the availability of good quality zoom lenses like the 28-105, I wouldn't call just a 50 "the basic do-it-all lens" any more. I'd say it's a great addition to an existing zoom lens, rather than a good substitute.</p>

<p>*: there is also a 28-105/4-5.6. This is a completely different lens, and inferior in every way except size and price. You don't want this one.</p>

Rebecca on your film Rebel g your 28-105 lens will cover most of the focal lengths you will need for family and friends type of shots. The 28mm wide angle end will give you an angle of view of about 75 degrees - useful for groups. The 105mm end will give a narrower 23 degrees angle of view for portrait shots of a single person where you could fill the frame with a head and shoulders from a few feet away.

The 50mm lens recommended (cheap but good quality) would give you something in the middle but lose the flexibility of the zoom. The image quality of a fixed focal length 50mm lens will be better than a zoom so there is a trade off between image quality and flexibility. The 50mm would allow bigger enlargements as it would be sharper than the same shot from the zoom.

Assuming for a minute you prefer flexibility to image quality, would a different zoom range be better? If you wanted more group shots or with larger numbers of people you might want to look at a wider angle at the short end, say a 24mm. Similarly if you thought you might use the lens for a lot of head and shoulders type shots from further away you might consider a longer top end, say 135 or 200.

But otherwise I would say the 28-105 is a good first choice.

I agree with Yakim. The 28-105/f3.5-4.5 was my first ever EOS lens and I made some of my nices pics with it. I now own primes and L lenses but frequently resort to the 28-105 for its good quality, versatility and useful weight and size. You may eventually want to add a prime lens (e.g. the 50mm mentioned above) for indoor and evening use, but till then there will be plenty to do with just the one zoom. I encourage.

If your are going to take friends and family picture, go for a prime (35 or 50mm): cheap, excellent pictures, work great in low-light situation...On that focal range (28-105), you can be the zoom...and will force you to be closer to your subject!