How to transfer raw files (not convert them) in xp (5d)

casey_basichis

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to, without using a seperate cf reader or canon

software, transfer the raw files from my 5d to win xp? I want to be able to

convert them in photoshop but i just want to get them on the harddrive. I have

a cf reader back in sf but it seems like there should be a way to do it without.

THanks,

Casey

$10 and also much much faster. But if you are in the middle of no-where and all you got is a USB cable, you can use Windows Explorer.

a. Plug in usb cable and ignor (close) whatever pop up.

b. Start Window explore. Right click on Window Icon and choose explore

c. Click on My computer and double click on EOS 5D. Then wait for the index to transfer over.

d. Move CR2 file to target folder.

Use a Card Reader is so so much faster.

Peter, because it's simply a USB mass storage device. That's supposed to be one of the beauties of USB mass storage. It's a perfectly legitimate question, especially if one just can't get immediate access to a card reader.

Casey, Tommy's description looks good.

In a nutshell - linux. Only linux has the drivers capable of accessing the camera without going through canon. I know that's not the answer you want, but w/o the drivers written by canon you're only other choice is a CF card.

If your fear is thinking that you'll bend the pins in the CF bay by adding/removing the CF card often, consider this. You'd have to be trying pretty hard to bend them. I'm not saying it can't be done, but complete ignorance of action, like trying to put the CF card in while the camera is in a box you can't see in would be a good example.

I haven't hooked my camera up to either my windows, linux, or mac box since I got it. I can't even find the cable anymore! CF card reader is far faster than the usb 1.1 on camera anyway.