UP Michigan in July

jimcrotty

I have been going to the UP since about 1940. (I married a girl from L'Anse in the copper country.) While there are some great sights in the Eastern part, like the Taquamenon Falls (upper and lower) and the Soo (Sault Ste Marie), the most picturesque are farther west. First are the Pictured Rocks along Lake Superior's shore near Munising, then Presque Isle near Marquette, and best of all the Keewenaw Peninsula going up to Copper Harbor and Fort Wilkins. I would recomend getting the book: "A Guide to 199 Michigan Waterfalls" by Bill and Laurie Penrose. ISBN: 0-923756-15-9. It has photos and maps on how to get to each one of them. Another book along that line is "Roar of Thunder, Whisper of Wind" by C.J. and Edna A. Elfont ISBN: 1-882376-02-1. Mostly waterfall pictures of the UP but some landscape and flora.

Don't forget the lighthouses. The Penrose family also wrote a book about Michigan lighthouses. They list very detailed instructions on how to get to each lighthouse. be sure to spen some time at the Whitefish Point Lighthouse, where you will also find the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Mus. They have the actual ships bell from the USS Edmund Fitgerald.

• 2 weeks later...

I work at a Travel Michigan Welcome Center. We have an office on Interstate 75 near Monroe.

If you come by that route stop and get a State Publication, Michigan's Upper Peninsula 5 Star

Wilderness. It has a lot of details on site, many most people never heard about.

Alex's comments above are what I would recommned as well. Also, as mentioned, Mackinaw

Island is right on your route. As we say at the Center, when you get to the Bridge (Mackinw)

take the ferry.