Hassy ergonomics

trex1

This is interesting. I enjoy reading about the design philosophy behind cameras. It would seem that

everything is still relevant in this digital age. I wonder what they are waiting for, with making a digital

version of this design concept?<div>00GqrR-30439584.jpg.cdc4ed90eba1ff310b6b9360f1b4d08d.jpg</div>

I mean from the ad, right? It's funny how none of the digital camera give you that kind of a

jones for the camera.

In any case, I got my first Hassy recently, and it has taken a little getting used to, but now I

really like the way it handles, that was why the ad got my attention. I enjoyed the Bronica

EC, but it was just too much of a behemoth.

While I have anyone's attention, could anyone of you comment on the Epson 4870 scanner

for 6x6 scans? These are available here in Tokyo on the used market for around 100

dololars, and I am thinking of getting one for film scans.

I wonder how much Donald would charge me to cop a feel of those well shaped bosoms. Nah,

on second thoughts I should probably cut out the middle man and make a deal with the kid.

Free lollipops if he can take a five minute break at feeding time...

Hi Derek,

Sorry I guess it came out wrong, the "they" I had in mind was the camera making

establishemnt at large, not hasselblad, which does not really exist anymore except as a

brand right (again, no irony intended)?

As for the H2D, there are a few reasons for me to reject it, namely aesthetics, and the

rectangle. I have never shot with one, but just picking one up at one of the stores here in

Tokyo was not a pleasant experience. everything is made of creaking yellow plastic, fit and

finish are just awful, not what I'd like to work with. Compared to the Contax 645, it seems

like a much lesser camera, optics and internal workings aside.

I don't think if it had come out of a factory in Sweden it would have looked like it does.

This has made in Japan written all over it, in the bad sense. Ie: copious use of plastic,

unneccessary automation, etc.

Darius,

I went with the H2 (film back) after much consideration, including ergonomics, manufacturer reliability, viewfinder brightness, and so forth. It was not an easy decision.

While I have only shot about 5,000 frames so far, it has come with me hiking and has performed well. I do not notice any more "plastic" feeling than I did from my Canon gear--which is probably why it bothers you, are your other camera's outer skin metal? The H series has some plastic on the outside, it has a solid metal core and is extremely rugged. According to Hasselblad, it was designed in Sweden--but it does not matter to me. In fact, shooting with it has convinced me of how well it was designed; read this review, it says basically the same thing:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/h2-review.shtml

You are right, I liked the Contax too but you know what happened there, it is unfortunate. But had Contax been around I still would have chosen the H2--it really is a well designed system. Be well.

dG

Hi Derek,

I wouldn't mind seeing a few photos. I'll check your links out.

What about the battery? I heard it chomps on batteries, (a negative that prevented me from becoming more interested in the Contax). That was the same bloody problem with the G1/G2, they sucked batteries like they were going out of style. Othewise pretty decent gear.

A few comments on shapes:

1. every time I pick up my Hassey bodies, I'm reminded of how simply brilliant the shape is - what a pleasure it is to own them.

2. I still can't get to like the black bodies, chrome seems to show off the shape's lines better as well as add some elegance.

While Ivana's bosoms are admirable if even a bit oversized; where on earth did that bloke TRUMP get the idea to do his hair like that! I just cannot take him seriously when he looks into a camera with that ridiculous hair do - call me judgemental, but he really needs grooming lessons.

Finally................ nice baby, looks as good as that lovely Hasselblad!

Victor must have had hands the size of basketball player's to come up with the left-hand grip. I grip mine with both hands, releasing the shutter with my right index finger.

<P>The H is a major disappointment. Mainly, it's too heavy to hold at eye level.

<P>Darius Jedburg is right. Someone needs to design a smaller waist-level camera with either the current 37mm square sensor, or something like the Foveon. What they are waiting for, Mr. Jedburg is someone with the vision of Victor Hasselblad or Steve Jobs. That vision is preciously rare in any age, but especially now.

Darius,

I heard about the H1 battery being terrible. I rented an H1 before deciding and didn't notice anything. The H2 has been updated with a terrific lithium rechargable battery that lasts quite a long time.

To be honest, the H2 is not without hiccups. But nothing has stopped me permanently in the middle of shooting. Inconvenience? Maybe, but seldom. Hasselblad is sincerely devoted to this system and the design and quality shows it. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

I can show you a few samples: Photo.net seems to be down, I tried getting your email address and it crashed. Email me at dglickstein "at" wisechoicesoftware.com (dglickstein@wisechoicesoftware.com) or I'll try getting your email address again later. My photos are not posted here.

Be well.

dG

You have a choice:

One: A night of bang out sex with the Donald's old lady,

OR

A complete brand new Hasselblad 501 CM outfit with lens, back and hood.

One or the other, but not both.

Which one is it!?

Darius, I had to think that one through.................. given the 501CM kit would be the "real deal", I'd need to know if her "puppies" are the real deal!

Come to think of it, it may just be too hard to get close enough to her anyway - God or man made.......... so, take the 501CM kit!