the flash failed to pop-up. When I press the flash button, it makes sound "tak

tak tak tak" and displays "Error 05" on LCD and hangs. Once I power off and

turn it on then only I'll be able to use the camera. I tried many times but

same old annoying sound, also I slightly tried to pull the flash up by hand but

was in vain. I also searched the forums, all I found was error 99 but no

mention of error 05.

Thanks in advance,

Sachin

<p>Well, your description is consistent with the manual's description of this error, as is your resolution.</p>

<p>If you can't pull the flash up by hand, there's a physical problem. You've got something blocking it, or something sticky has gotten in there, or some internal part has come lose. If you can't find the problem from the outside of the camera, and I take it you've put some effort into this, then it's time to have the camera serviced.</p>

I too had this problem with my 20D when shooting this summer in Utah and Arizona. I found that if I pushed the flash (when closed) to the right and then push the flash button it would pop up. Strangley enough when I got back home to St Louis I havn't had the problem but one time in the last 6 months. Maybe it was the heat/dust/arid climate that caused this problem, your guess is as good as mine. Just wiggle it back and forth and it should pop open. Good luck! Trevy!

Exact same problem with me and my solution is the same as the above user.

looking at the flash from the top, i lightly push the flash to the right while in the closed position. Then when i press teh flash pop-up button, it works fine.

I almost never use the popup flash so i was surprised that it fails on me. It's perfectly clean inside so nothing is blocking it. Just the flash wasn't make too well for EOS 20D's

I have/had the same issue, glad I'm not alone. Mine was a bit gummy from who knows what. I applied pressure from back to front and stuck my fingernail in the crack to pull up with gentle force while I pushed the flash button. I used some lens cleaner and toothpicks to clean the latch and it hasn't done it in a while.

Thank you all your responses. I followed the same method stated by you guys, just moved the flash slightly towards right and pressed the flash button and it popped up. God know for what reason it was stuck for I dint find anything sticky or any dust. Thank you once again.

cheers,

Sachin

• 2 years later...

I had the exact same problem as the rest of you. I'm glad I found this discussion, as I was concerned about

already having problems with my new 40D.

I blew air around the pop-up flash latch area and haven't had the problem yet. Some dust from the desert may

have entered and jammed the latches, and blowing air freed them up.