Outdoor full length reflector - recomendations??

fino

Can anyone recommend a reflector thats.....

-suitable for outdoor use.

-suitable for full length fashion shots.

-easily transported.

-can be used without an assistant holding.

-has a range of surfaces [white/gold etc etc]

and available in europe.

Thanks in advance.

FK

To the best of my knowledge you are asking for the impossible.

If you want something suitable for full length shots it should (at least) be the size of a standing person. This makes it hard to use outdoors without EITHER using an assistant OR having some kind of support (tripod with reflector arm, and the support would not make it easier to transport) if there is any wind at all.

Since you want something that is easily transported I guess you are looking for something collapsible. When it comes to collapsible reflectors with multiple sides I have yet only seen circular in the size of 22"-42" (roughly 55-105cm) from Chameleon and Portaflash.

But someone else might have a really neat solution that I have not seen yet.

Are you wanting to buy factory made or make your own?

Anyway, If you are on a tight budget, here's what I use: Thin PCV pipe for a frame, and a variety of matterials, such as: For a diffuser and reflector, pure white ripstop nylon, similar to umbrella, camping tent, kite, or windbreaker matterial, Other white: A large piece of foam core found at most packing and shipping supply outlets, Silver: one of those pocket emergency blankets, sold at most camping stores, Other colours, gold, red, white, and any colour of the rainbow you would want: Wide shiney Chrismas wraping paper!

The point here is, just use your imagination!

Hope this helps!

Ken.

Hello, I have been looking for exactly the same kind of product for some time and eventually ordered two Photoflex 41x74" (about 1.10 x 1.90 m) collapsible reflectors. They come in various surface conbinations and you can fold them to 1/3rd of their size. I ordered mine <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=42114&is=REG"> here </a>. Shipping to switzerland was about $40. I'll let you know more when I get them (they should arrive this week) if you want. But they seem quite rugged and can be held with dedicated tripod acessories. <a href="http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html"> Here </a> is the official product's site.<br>

Hope I was of some help, best regards<p>Federico Sartorio

I highly recommend the Photoflex reflector mentioned by Federico. There are 2 versions however, one made of plastic, the other aluminium. I have the Aluminium version and can vouch for it's ruggedness. Tha plastic version has a reputation for breaking, assuming you use it outdoors and in the wind, according to my local Photoflex supplier. The plastic version would be fine indoors in a studio. There is no safe way of using these things outdoors without someone holding them unless you live/work somewhere where the wind is always gentle. They are basically a parachute or sail and generate a lot of force when a gust of wind catches them, be very carefull.

JJ

I like what Ken and the others have said.

If you make a PVC frame, allow it to collapse in the middle of its height, by using a pipe coupler. (A "sleeve" made out of PVC, available at the plumbing supply.) Glue ONLY one side, and let the other side accept the PVC. You can buy what I think is called SHOCK CORD. This is the stretchy-cord like a bungee or elastic rope. Put this around the inside of your pipe, pull tight, and tie the ends together. This way, any pipes which just slide into other couplings will stay put, with the tension of the cord.

As far as aluminum goes, I found a VERY cheap, and old, camping tent at a private yard / house / garage sale. I bought two of these for under $10, and have been using the aluminum for a background stand I built. The problem will be with the corners, but looking around in hardware stores or building supplies, you might be able to find fitted corners.

Good luck.