blinking... Any thoughts? I called Pentax and they told me I

shouldn't be using a Sigma lens with this camera, only a Pentax lens -

but this came as a package deal. Please help! I go to Ireland in 3

days and really want to use this camera. I can always shoot all

manual, but I am no pro at photography and was hoping to rely a

little bit on the auto-focus. Thanks!!

-Charlyanne

Hi,

Sigma autofocus lenses should work fine on your Pentax. I never have had any problems. On pentax cameras the autofocus connection from camera body to lens is mechanical - a small screwdriver & slot type of arrangement. There have been incidences of Sigma lenses not working with Canon & Nikon because they use electrical connections to 'talk' to a focusing motor inside the lens and sometimes Sigma didn't get that protocol exactly right.

There are 3 possiblities:

1. You were given the wrong lenses in the kit . Unlikely and they wouldn't mount at all if that were the case.

2. You haven't mounted the lens quite right. You must make sure to turn it until it clicks into place. Maybe you are being too gentle with your new camera. It shouldn't take too much force but you should feel some resistance until you hear the definite click.

3. Camera or lenses are defective.

Your best course of action is to take it back to the shop and have them mount the lenses and try it out. Ask them to show you exactly how to do it.

I hope you enjoy Ireland.

Well, I suppose I just have terrible luck! The switch is on AF - but nothing... I tried wiping the contacts and replacing it and still nothing. I definitely have the lens mounted entirely, I can hear a definite click when it's in place. I even tried to very gently move the lens when mounted to maybe help the contacts connect and still nothing. I am thinking of going to the store and trying the camera with Pentax lenses, and another Pentax camera with these Sigma lenses to determine if it's the camera, or the lens. What terrible timing!! Thank you all for your help and suggestions...