Nikon hood confusion settled

mike_willis1

I bought a used Nikon 24mm f/2.8 about a year ago, I look into getting a hood

for it. So I check in my Nikon book by a famous photographer that goes by an

animal name it lists HN-3 for the 24mm f/2.8. So I find one about 2 months ago

in a used bin at a local camera shop. Well I took a trip back in Late

March/Early April and burned a few rolls of Velvia 50 of some beautiful

landscapes. Well I thought beautiful, I just picked up the slides and high res.

CD-ROM and low and behold vignetting badly on every shot that I used that lens

on. I check some other Nikon references online and sure enough they list HN-1

is the correct hood. The live and learn applies. Makes me wonder what other

words of wisdom in that book is not correct.

Mike:

I have an HN-1 attached to my 24/2.8 and have good results. I have two versions of Moose Peterson's Nikon Handbook (4th edition and 5th edition). The lens hood compatibility chart in each version correctly lists the HN-1. The Hove Nikon Compendium correctly lists the HN-1 also. What reference (animal name etc.) are you referring to?

Tom Keenan

The HN-3 is the hood designated for the 35mm lenses. As you discovered, it will vignette on the 24/2.8.

You can safely use the HN-2 (for 28mm lenses) without vignetting if you don't have a filter mounted. With a filter, you get very slight vignetting in the corners of the frame with an HN-2.

The HN-1 can be used with a filter mounted, including a "slim" polarizer, without vignetting.

None of these shallow hoods are very effective. When you really need effective shading, use your hat to shade the front element. :-)

Hi, Mike,

Sorry to hear about the trouble in your shots of beautiful scenery.

The information for the appropreate hood for each lens could have been found quite easily on niconusa.com or any websites on the internet, though.

I suspect that the use of HN-3 by the "famous photographer" could simply be a typo. Or the photographer used his 24/2.8 on a DSLR whose field of view with 24/2.8 is quivalent of 36mm lens on a 135 film (or full frame) camera. In the latter case the HN-3, designed for 35mm lenses, works perfectly on the 24/2.8. I used to use HS-10 hood, originally designed for 85/2 lens, on 50/1.2 combined my DSLR and it worked very well and cause no vignetting.

Tom Keenan, please check your 5th edition. On page 143 on the lower right is a grey square and it lists lens and hoods that he has tried and used with success. Don't get me wrong, yes I didn't use the depth of field button. I was taking photos at almost dusk and it was one of those situations were I was driving and saw this beautiful view, unfortunately I didn't have a tripod or monopod and had to use f2.8 and f4, via handholding. There was no solid object to lean against or put the camera on.

I started this thread because in previous posts I had read some others were confused and even within Moose's book it lists the HN-1 is the hood, but that chart that lists other hoods that work is contradictary.

I realize that as the master of my camera and it's related equipment that I am the only to truely blame and believe me I am mad at myself.