linhof unversal sucher/finder technika schneider-kreuznach

geert_de_keyser1

i bought a second hand linhof unversal finder. it is supposed to be for 4x5

(settings from 90 to 360) and 5x7 (120-500). i can turn its front ring so it can

go from horizontal to vertical and back, i can also turn the backwheel from

infinity to 0.5 meter. i can see two rectangles on through the finder, one that

is the edge of the frame and the other inside of it all. my questions! which one

of these is for 4x5? why is it a rectangle and not a near square like 4x5? what

does the lower wheel do that turns from infinity to 0.5m? i see that it tilts

the finder a bit but i can't see any real differences in the finder, any help is

welcome

The inner rectangle is for a 6cm rollfilm back. The outer is your 4x5 or 5x4.

The lower wheel is to adjust for parallax. It is self-limiting so that it remains accurate: you cannot dial in as close as you can focus with many lenses where the parallax cannot, FAPP, be corrected using the device.

Hello, the outside window work with the right scale at the feet of the finder, the inside window work with the left scale. They are 4x5 windows. The inside one can be use with a 6x12 back ( and the rigth scale ) because the upper and the lower ligns fit with the format. Normaly, the complete set come with masks, fit one by one with the format. The windows looks a little bit more rectangular than the 4x5, and my personal point of vue ( no joke !) is that a optical correction. When you look inside the finder, there seems to be more 4x5... The horizontal wheel is a parallax corrector.

Using this finder is not so easy, the image is very small, not very useful in the shadows and you can forget it when you wear glasses, better to built a sort of "sport finder".

Anyway, this is a better "very good looking finder" than a "very good finder for looking"....

Pierre Frachon

No, I write about the old universal finder with a number like 50XX made in a beautiful anodized aluminium. The front lens have a bezel with teh followings words engraved : Linhof-universalsucher-Technika, Schneider Kreuznach. Is the new model more useful ?

The finder seems more useful for handheld press work than precise composition. Even with parallax correction, the viewfinder is not on the optical axis. This can be demonstrated by looking at a scene with near and far objects first with only the left eye and then only with the right eye. I find the traditional viewing card (an 8x10 mat with a 4x5 opening) a more functional alternative. It requires almost no space to carry, almost no expense, can be used on the optical axis and works for eyeglass wearers.