Banff NP, best month for spring photos?

jay_d.__los_angeles_

I spent a summer there. June and July are almost too early in the high country. August is great, plenty of flowers, storms, and color. I did not care for the bears sniffing around my tent in the mornings, but otherwise it is fantastic place to visit.

Velvia, RZ67 is what I shot with. It is hard, perhaps impossible to take a bad shot in that park.

Have a vision and see something different. That will determine your ultimate success I believe.

--- JDR

I agree. I would NOT go in May, it likely still will be snowing and if you dont like cold weather, rain, and wind, stay away. Moreover, bring all types of cloths and be prepared for any weather, especially if youre from the warm county. If youre really hard core and serious, be prepared to get very little sleep. the days are so long,in order to get the light you will be up from 3:30-4am and wont get to bed until midnight, by the time you get to camp/hotel. I'd say sleep durring the 1-7 period and shoot the morning and evenings. That is unless you will get pleanty of sleep when your dead, in which case, just stay up all day and take cat naps along the way. That's what I do, I'm lucky that way, cat naps work for me so I can usually go non stop, exept for a couple little naps.

Finally, be prepared for PEOPLE and tour busses! Most of the tour buss people are very rude, and will not avoid youre subject. So, I usually avoid them by choosing locations where they cant stop the bus. In a way, that helps me find new shooting locations anyway.

Finally, if youre camping, and even if youre not, do your bear homework - research the dos and donts and never leave your food out. It's a crime in the park and you will call down the wrath of a park ranger if youre caught. . .

You will have a great time. Hit the bow river park way for elk and bears!

I was just there for 5 days over the Memorial Day holiday. It rained on one day, with very light drizzles on another day. The remaining days were sunny.

That was my first time, so I don't know about other times of the year, but it was very nice to be able to have sunny days (like we're used to in SoCal), as well as snow capped mountains and actual snowfall.

Banff is nice, Lake Louise is beautiful and the drive on the Icefields Parkway is incredible.

KL

Jay - each month has its benefits. Things are still pretty snowy up high in June and some campgrounds and roads may not be open 'til mid month. This also means that some of the higher hiking trails will be impassable, but there'll be lots of snowcapped peaks still around. Also, the creeks and rivers will be flowing high - great for waterfalls. June is among the better months to find bears gorging on the fresh greenery. Come July and August everything is open, meaning a flood of visitors. These months also bring the best display of wildflowers.

Whenever you go, especially if your time is limited, i'd recommend picking up Darwin Wiggett's 'How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies'. Within this book, Darwin describes some of his favorite photos spots, complete with mileage, directions and best conditions. He includes the 'tourist traps', but also mentions several relatively unknown locales.

Enjoy the trip - the Rockies are a great place.

Andrew Forrest

St. Albert, Alberta

spring comes very late in high altitudes. In April/May you'll still get snow up in Banff - though there will be nice days as well, and fewer tourists relatively speaking. July and August would be your best bet for wildflowers and such, but with global warming, things like that are moving earlier and earlier in the year. Your best bet is to call the park ahead of time to get a sense of how things are going. Be aware - you'll not escape the tourists unless you get off the main roads. But you don't have to get too far off - half a mile and you'll feel like the only ppl in the park. Enjoy :)