Sigma 28-300: Purchase new DG or fix old non-DG?

I have been using an old Sigma 28-300 3.5-6.3 non-digital lens on my Rebel 2000

(35mm camera). I just purchased a 30D. The Sigma lens had broken about a week

prior to my purchase and repair quote is $90. I am finding good condition used

DG version lenses for around $220. My question: is the digital coating worth the

extra $130 for use with the 30D? I had taken a few shots with the non-DG on my

friend's Digital Rebel and the quality was not noticeably worse than on my 35mm

(but I was not looking for faults, really just testing if it would function at

all on a DSLR). I know this is not a great quality lens and it would be great to

spend $500 on better glass but for now these are my options! Thanks for any

advice you have.

Well, I just put around $2000 into the 30D and equipment (including 12-24 Tokina lens). I did not factor buying ANOTHER lens into my budget... so for now I would rather not spend over $250. I have no problem with buying a used lens. I am planning to get better lenses down the road, ie 28-70/70-200 but I've pretty much maxed myself out for now. I know there's not much I can get for $250! I am used to the picture quality of the 28-300 as it has been my only lens for about 4 years so any step up would feel like a bonus to me. I do like (and use) its all-in-one zoom range but I know I can kiss professional quality goodbye for that convenience. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you like your Tokina super wide, you can get the Tokina 28-70 ATX Pro SV f/2.8 for $250 new at B&H, it's a pro grade lens, that is built like a tank. (A little on the heavy side, but nice), or I would go with the Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM , at $189. Again, I'm not a fan of the hyperzooms, but I'd stick with the Canon, as you will atleast get the USM motor.

Mike

If you do get another sigma make sure it has been or can be rechipped to work with your new camera. The lens makes the photograph, thats the very last place to skimp on quality. You may have been better off to have gotten a cheaper body but better lenses.