Equipment for large format photography, starting

shakti v.

Hi. I currently have a Rolleimat Universal enlarger and has been working with

35 mm and 120mm. I have done shooting with 4x5 film camera years ago, but I

have limited experience as I don't have my own equipment for large format.

What will be the best enlarger that has a wide versatility with sizes? If there

is such an enlarger that can enlarge 35mm up to 8x10 film, I would want that. I

doubt though if there is such. If there is none, what is the most versatile

enlarger available?

Another question is the camera. Which will be the best large format camera for

you? I want to work up to 8x10.

I plan to save up on the equipment so I can get them in a few months. I'm

canvassing now.

Thanks.

An 8x10 enlarger is massive and super heavy. You would be better off buying a drum scanner and having a lightjet prints made. An 8x10 enlarger needs a dedicated room. A 4x5 enlarger is a lot smaller and might actually work in a makeshift room. I will leave the versitile part of the question to other people with more LF enlarger knowledge.

If you intend to shoot 4x5 on a regular basis I would go for both 4x5 and an 8x10 cameras. 8x10 is just too big heavy cumbersome and expensive to use on a regular basis for me, and not just the camera, its everything else too, like film holders weigh over 1# each. Slide film is $16 a shot processed.

I like the super graphic for 4x5. Its cheap, light, all alum, rotating back, full front movements, RF and cam etc.

For 8x10 either a Wehman, Kodak masterview, toho or Phillips would be my choice. The toho is a rail camera. The others are folders. The Wehman is in current production and I read nothing but good reviews about it.

Maybe this will help

As Troy says, 8x10 enlargers as giant devices. 4x5 enlargers are much more practical. We just had a discussion about 4x5 enlargers: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00IVHW.

Asking for the "best camera for you" is going to get a lot of answers describing a wide range of cmeras. It would probably be more useful to you if you thought about your particular needs and informed us of them. Weight, precision, extensive movements, price, etc?

There are also many camera discussions in the forum archives -- just click the link "Cameras".

I agree get a 4x5 enlarger (Beseler or Omega). Why bother with a 8x10 enlarger that is HUGE when a flatbed like the Epson v700 will safely do an enlargement of 4x. That with 8x10 film gives you a 30x40 print. How often will you do larger then that?

The camera issue is not so easy to answer. I believe in metal cameras because they are more precise and durable with no play! Others like wood. Of course it boils down to how much you want to spend and if you want a studio or field camera. There are too many models to discuss here in detail regarding the pros and cons.You need to do some basic research and narrow down your choice. If you are willing to spend $1000-2000 you can get a metal camera (TOYO field cameras)depending on new/used in either studio/field types. The nice thing about Toyo is that this is a complete system for future expansion. A bit more in price are Horseman, also all metal, and complete system. If you prefer the look of wooden cameras, they can be had for even less money, making it really not worth the while to even consider a used model.

<p>

As others have mentioned an 8x10 enlarger is quite a commitment, especially if you are just starting out with a large format.

</p>

<p>

Instead, you can do like Edward Weston did and contact print the 8x10 negatives using a print frame. There is a good tutorial on building your own <a href="http://www.alternativephotography.com/articles/art017.html">http://www.alternativephotography.com/articles/art017.html</a>

</p>

<p>

p.s. There is a good picture of the late Cole Weston's 8x10 enlarger at <a href="http://www.m-reekie.com/Weston46.htm">http://www.m-reekie.com/Weston46.htm</a>. I was able to attend one of his workshops where he told a great story about how he acquired that enlarger.

</p>

I will start by pointing out that there is no comparison between a large b&w print from an 8x10 enlarger and one made from a scan on prosumer equipment. So let's not even go there.

Having said that, an 8x10 enlarger is a huge investment in terms of space. If you are just getting into this, maybe you should get some experience and then make a decision about an 8x10 enlarger. If you are married and you do not live in a huge house, you may be looking for trouble.

Here is my setup, fwiw. I have a 4x5 camera, and an 8x10 that also has a 5x7 back (a really nice format, worth taking a look). I have two enlargers which I use for b&w only (although this may change, and I may do colour in the darkroom too): a 4x5 (which I also use for 120) and a 5x7. I enlarge 5x7 but I also contact print it. It is the smallest size you can use for effective contacts, in my opinion. I got the 8x10 to do contact prints with Victorian processes (like pt-pd, etc) although I have not quite got there yet.

For colour, I shoot in 120 and 4x5, reversal and negative. I scan and print at home for proofing and for "family" photography. For "on the wall" or prints for sale, I get professional drum scans and prints.

As for choice of camera, this is really a huge question. Think about what it is you want to photograph and this may guide your decision. Feel free to ask more questions. Lots of folks here have gone through a similar process.

Really, an 8x10 enlarger doesn't take up that much more square footage than a decent 4x5 enlarger. But the headroom requirement is greater.

However, the 8x10 enlarger is much heavier so it's harder to move around. Not good for temporary setups.

I've got an Elwood 8x10 for which I built a primitive but workable base. I would guess the square footage (floor space) to be roughly twice that of a 4x5 enlarger.

I agree that there's no comparing print quality between "wet" and "dry" darkrooms.

If you want to do so, I'd suggest you go for it -- especially since used darkroom gear prices are so low as compared to just a few years ago.

My Largeformat setup is as follows

Cameras

Crown Graphic

Arca swiss Type C 4x5 with a tapered bellows and 6x9 front standard

- I have made the followind items to save the $$$

Wide bellows

Speed/Crown Lens Board to Arca Converter(Made from a Graphic camera Adaptor bought on the net.)

Plus lots of other little things like lens boards and a Extension rail(current Project)

Enarger

Durst L1200 wthe CS501 Head and a B&W Head with a full set of condensors.

This is a Wonderfull enlarger a joy to use Fortunatly mine came with just about everything when I bought it including a 150mm Rodagon

A Speed or Crown Graphic is a good starting point. A Used Arca Swiss, Sinar, Toyo, cambo ect camera is also a option just make sure that you get as many Accessory's as possible as anything for a good high quality camera is $$$

I decided to not to go 5x7 or 8x10 due to camera and film costs and the size of the enlarger required. I have been very happy with my 4x5 results.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I intend to do fine art black and white photography until I can, so I think investing on 8x10 cam, enlarger, accessories, etc., is not a question. Photographers just keep acquiring equipment and dishing out money, don't we? But, as you have recommended, I should start with 4x5 as I am new in large format. That's what I'll invest in first. A 4x5 camera and enlarger.

Has anyone here tried Ebony 4x5 cameras? I looked at their site, saw the cameras, and read good reviews. The mahogany wood finish aesthetically appeals to me, and they have folding rail cameras. Any reviews on Ebony from members here?

Also, where would be the best place to buy a 4x5 enlarger? I am skeptic about ebay.