30D RAW+JPG burst capacity - 9 shots?

hyunyu

On page 54 of the 30D manual, the table shows that the maximum number of burst

buffer for RAW + JPG setting is 9 images. On my brand-new 30D, using SanDisk

Extreme 2GB card, it only shows "7." If I change it to either RAW or JPG, then

it'll show "9", which is what it's supposed to. I've tried it with a 1GB

SanDisk Ultra II card, with the same result.

I don't have white balance bracketing enabled, by the way, which might affect

the number of burst shots.

So... has anyone else come across this? I can't imagine what might explain the

discrepancy.

An editing error? It's pretty common to have mistakes in manuals.

I used to save RAW + JPEG. In three years I extracted a JPEG exactly zero times. So now I stick

with RAW and save a little space on my card. If I need a JPEG it's easy to get later.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>

I've tried with two different cards and I see the same thing (maximum burst buffer of 7 when using any combination of RAW+JPG).</p>

<p>

I would think the manual has a typo (probably should be 7) as it would make sense considering the difference between using one or the other or using the two at the same time. Canon should be able to confirm that (or there is a problem with the cameras).

</p>

<p>

Now the thing to verify is whether 7 is the maximum shots or not. If you read the manual carefully, nine <u>or more</u> shots will show you the 9 in the viewfinder. That number 9 acts as a warning tool. It will only decrease as you reach 9 shots left or less.</p>

I thought I'd add an interesting twist. When I switched the lens to the Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, the "9" burst indicator for RAW+JPG showed up in the viewfinder as noted in the manual. The two other lenses I had on earlier, both EF 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2.0 showed "7".

Hmmm...

Yeah, I know, sounds crazy to me, too. I can't think of any other settings I may have changed, though.

Unlike "remaining shots on the memory card" counter, changing the ISO value does not seem to affect the burst capacity indicator.

<cite>Kinda same problem with my 20D. Manual says 9 shots...but it bogs down after 6 shots.</cite>

<p>AFAIK, the 20D only has buffer room for 6 shots in RAW or RAW+JPEG mode; that's all mine does, but I'm not at the same location as the manual so I can't check.</p>

Well, "problem" solved. It really never was a problem, just a typo. In fact, a BIG typo consisting of thirteen missing words!

I was reading the electronic, PDF version of the manual that I had downloaded from the Canon EOS website. In that, on p.54, after the table of burst capacity, it notes:

"* Continuous shooting is possible until the CF card becomes full."

Well, tonight, I finally had a moment to sit down with the printed manual and go through it with the camera in my hand, and look what I found on p.54, under the first note above:

"** Although "7" is displayed in the viewfinder, approx. 9 continuous shooting is possible."

The "**" in the printed manual is next to the RAW+JPG cell in the burst table.

So, it was just a case of missing information from the PDF manual. And I probably was mistaken when I said that the EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 lens gave me "9" display, as it now shows "7" like the other two lenses.

By the way, Bob, I didn't say "white balance," but rather "white balance bracketing" setting, which the manual says will reduce maximum burst.

Thanks all!