OM Zuiko 80mm f4 Auto Macro

frederick_lau1

Since the OM Zuiko 80mm f4 Auto has helicord focussing (though limited), has

anyone tried using a suitable extension ring (I don't have one, but I have the

65-116 tube) so that it can focus to infinity ?

If there is one such extension ring exists, what is the nearest focussing

distance ?

P.S. I enjoy using my Zuiko 135 f4.5 Auto with my 65-116 tube in its unextended

length. It allows me to focus from infinity to portrait distance using the

(limited) helicord focussing, It makes a handy tele when I travel light.

Thanks.

Yes, I discovered this too (using the 25mm ext. tube)... but I imagine that the lens is not so well corrected for images focused at infinity. I'd much prefer to use my 85/2 - it's 4x brighter as well.

Thanks guys. Since I have both the 135mm f4.5 and the 80mm f4 with the 65-116 tube, I am just thinking of whether the 80mm f4 will work with some extension ring (which is useful in macro anyway) so make is as a reserve short tele when I need it.

By the way, the 135mm f4.5 with the 65-116 tube perform quite well for long distance. The only down side is that it has max f4.5 and the focussing grip area is not as broad.

Has anyone try other extension ring on 80mm f4 and still able to focus to infinity (the OM brand's 25mm may be costly) ?

Any 25mm ext. tube with OM mounts will work - it need not be authentic Olympus brand. I bought a cheap tele-converter once, one in which the glass was removable - it made an excellent ext. tube when the lenses were removed even though it was not so good when used as a 2x converter!

Maybe someone

can help me:<br>

<br>

Has the early, non-auto aperture, 80mm Macro the same optical design

than the  second version?<br>

Did they change coating (SC to MC)?<br>

<br>

Did anyone notice a change in optical, image quality? <br>

Which version to prefer?<br>

<br>

Thanks<br>

<br>

Some info I found: <br>

<br>

Mannheim wrote, with the Macro Auto Tube, the new version is

preferable, because of the automatic aperture mechanism.<br>

Semi official writer, Pangerl wrote, the Auto-Macro 80mm is an improved

version with multi-coating and automatic aperture mechanism.<br>

Olympus manual for macrophoto group states: "This lens was developed

for use in conjunction with the Telescopic Auto Tube 65-116 or Auto

Bellows."<br>

<br>

Did anyone use the 4/60mm Novoflexar or the 1:1 Apo-Rodagon-D 4/75mm?<br>

<br>

BTW there is also an special Apo-Rodagon-D 2x for 1:2.<br>

<br>

• 3 weeks later...
In response to the question about the OM Zuiko 80mm f4 Auto Macro vs. the Apo-Rodagon D 75mm f/4 1:1 macro, I recently obtained the Apo-Rodagon and tested it at 1:1 alongside the Zuiko 80/4 Auto. In terms of resolution, both performed very well, with the Olympus actually being very slightly better than the Apo-Rodagon. So, given that the Olympus also has an auto diaphragm and helicoid focusing (the Rodagon doesn't have either), I think that the Olympus is the winner.

• 8 years later...

<p>I'm currently using an Apo Rodagon 75mm f/4.0 on a Nikon PB-4 bellows with a Nikon D800e, and a Zuiko Macro 80mm f/4.0 with Oly bellows and an OM-D E-M5 Mk II for focus stacked images soon to be in a major exhibition as prints in the 20"x30" range. The results are almost indistinguishable from each other, they both are magnificent, if I do my part.<br>

I'm working at magnifications that require my being at least 3 meters away when the shutter opens, lest my heartbeat through my feet and into that solid tripod cause camera shake. This is in a very solid house, but through a wooden floor. The only significant fault in either system to date has been the E-M5 Mk II showing artifacts in High Resolution image fine details. I believe the firmware update released a few days ago addresses that problem.<br>

Having begun playing with this sort of photography with 4"x5" cameras in the very early 1960s, this all feels like personal space travel. I hope others can appreciate it as much.</p>