LONG calbe release for a 10D?

I'd like to set the camera up in the bushes and let the birdies get

used to it sitting there. Mamma flies in and out about every ten

minutes and I think it would be great to get shots of her with the

babies and the babies by themselves.

I need a LONG cable release for this. I can't be standing two feet

away from the nest, mamma would never come visit.

Has anyone figured out a work around for this particular situation?

I would be very much appreciative if I could start shooting using

something like that. Money isn't a problem either, if it cost under

a hundred dollars at least. The pictures I'd get would be worth it.

I don't want the infared stuff that my Elan II has the option of

using. I want to be located anywhere in relation to the camera and

be able to trigger the shutter reliably.

While I'm at it, does anyone have a work around for the same

situation with my Elan II? I went to radio shack and bought some

stereo headphone cord to plug in line with my release cable, but it

didn't work...

For $75, you can buy a Canon 33' extension cable for either of the N3-style remote switches that are compatible with the 10D:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=164272&is=REG

Since it's way overpriced, I used a 25' stereo mini-jack headphone extension cord and solderable mini-jacks & -plugs (1 each), cut my RS-80N3 in half, and I can now insert or remove the 25' extension as it suits my needs:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00A9LR

It seems you should be able to do the same thing with the RS-60E3 remote switch for the Elan II series, which is only about $26:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=70561&is=REG

You'd just have to know how many conductors are in the RS-60E3 cable, and make sure you maintain correct continuity of each of the leads through the spliced-in extension cable.

I've got an Elan II-E, ancestor of the Elan 7E, which uses the RS6-E3 remote. I solved the problem easily by going to Radio Shack and buying a 12-foot stereo earphone extension cable with a miniplug at one end and a minijack at the other end (both 1/8 inch diameter), plus a 1/8" minijack to 1/16" microplug adapter, plus its opposite, a 1/16" microjack to 1/8" miniplug adaptor. Put the 1/8" ends of the two adaptors on opposite ends of the headphone cord. Then the adapter attached to one end of the extension cord plugs into the camera, while the Canon-brand remote control plugs into the adapter attached to the other end of the extension cable.

You might need another kind of adaptor for the 10D, depending on the kind of plug it takes. Try not to lose the tiny plastic plug in the camera which covers the remote control jack: Canon charges an arm to replace it, plus a leg to ship it to you.

WARNING: You don't want to scare the parents away from their nest, nor to expose their nest to predators such as cats or squirrels (which enjoy eggs). You'll need an extension cord much longer than the 12-foot length I bought. I believe that Radio Shack sells 25-foot, and maybe even 50-foot, extension cords.

Have bought a 100m (300 ft) roll of stereo audio cable from my local radio shop, and using the RS-80N3 remote controller with cable cut in half as described earlier and soldering two mini headphone connectors to each end, have been able to trigger my 10D from very far away. Am sure 300ft will be more than far enough, and also confirming that such a distance is possible.

Hi Melissa

Nah, not a dumb question. Simplest answer though, just make sure you keep continuity through both sets of connectors and also through the extension cable. Once you've cut the original remote controller cable, ensure that each color travels the whole route and ends up with the same color right at the end. Then all will work. Will be a lot easier if you had access to a cheap multimeter... If you're still stuck, let me know ;-)