I have a question regarding a camera I am researching. Information inside.

theasianmystery

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. Besides that point, I have come to ask a

slightly important question.

I have been looking for a camera for quite some time, in order to do more

researching on it. I am doing this because I want to find out if it is a certai

ncamera used in a video game I play.

I am not a camera expert by far-- so I wish you to patronise me as much as you

see it nessecary, and as well as patronising, please do forgive my spelling

mistakes. :)

The camera's exact model I am not sure of.. all I have to go by is a picture and

apparently the model number and such on the front of it.

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/3032/nikonf23eu.jpg

The above link is a picture of the camera. I am guessing, due to what it says,

it is a simple Nikon 50MM SLR. I am not sure on anything thouh, so I require

some help...

If anyone could be of assistance to labeling the camera's model to exact

precision, or giving me a lead as to what it is I would appreciate professional

opinion.

I am planning on getting a camera like this, if not exactly like this in the

near future so I want to know what I am looking for.. It will be for a

photographic research I will conduct in a shrine in Kyoto that I want to visit.

It is said to be haunted so I want to photograph it. I was told the best camera

for this job is not a digital, or is a SLR film camera, and I was also

fascinated in a game that uses just that sort of camera, so I wanted to find out

if it was even possible to get one, or get information on it.

Any leads are very much appreciated. Thanks to all who post. Please forgive me

if I have posted wrongly.. :)

Joe,

Wow....this is a really a tough one to identify. After thoroughly researching all my Nikon literature, and finally having to contact my secret sources at Nikon, I have to agree with Roger: it's an F2 (photomic, 1971).

Now...Google "photogaphy in malaysia Nikon", then click on the "F2" heading for a complete overview of this model.

Joe, if you follow the directions for "photography in Malaysia" earlier in this thread, you will come to a site chock-full of wonderful information about Nikons, including the 35-year-old model you asked about. You will also find the SAME digital image of a Nikon F2 Photomic... the image you supply the link for is the same pubicity shot used in the "...Malaysia" site. The "...Malaysia" site may well be where your source GOT the image. It's a resource site a lot of camera lovers have pored over.

Be well,

"And digital will work just as well as film when photographing ghosts."

Come on do not pull Joe's leg. We all know this is simply not true - it is not possible to photograph ghosts. All you can do is take pictures of ghost mediated effects like moving courtains etc. And it does not matter what kind of camera you use.

I would like to thank all of you for posting-- and so promptly at that.

The game I play is called Zero~Shisei no Koe~ or in english, Fatal Frame 3: The Tormented.

And yes I love this camera thats why I asked for information on it. it's truly sad that it isn't produced anymore thoh-- I would've liked to buy it directly from Nikon if I could. I don't really have the heart for buying used equipment.

Could any of you do me a big favor and suggest a camera to buy that is closest to how this camera looks and works, but is newer, so that I can buy it new from Nikon or something? I love how this camera is styled, and how it works. I don't want a digital camera-- I already have one lol and I'm not fond of it. I like the old fashion dark room developing and such, much more fun.

So yeah if any of you have a suggestion for a camera I could buy that happens to be remarkably similar to the F2 pictured in this thread then I'd appreciate information on it. I basically want this camera but I just don't want to go thru the hassle of getting it used, plus it's so darn old and I want to use it for everyday professional use. I'm sure if I bought it new it'd be reliable but theres the problem that they don't manufacture it's kind anymore.

I'd also like to once again thank you for all of your wonderful answers-- I am currently looking into that malaysian site and getting mroe information about the F2.

Joe,

These cameras are built like tanks!

Apart from the meter (which is in the removable prism) there are no electronic bits to go

wrong. I once owned a ex-MOD (UK Ministry of Defence) F2A. After a service to have the

foams replaced, and the camera checked over it gave me no problems for the six years or

so that I had it.

Sanford Gerald,

Thank you, I will do some research into those 2 models-- Are they built anything like the Nikon F2 35MM ?

Tim Franklin,

Yeah I see :D

This camera does indeed look durable-- but I think it would take a long time to find one that worked perfectly for a price I could actually look into. I am honestly not worried about spending up to 600 bucks, as long as I can get that much money I'll spend that much. This camera would totally be worth it. But still, I have my concerns, as you may be thinking. Maybe it would be better insurance(and easier on the budget) to get a later model that at least resembles this one, like maybe one of the ones that were suggested?

Thank you both for replying,

I am still open to suggestions, thanks.

Ohh sorry for double posting, everyone, but I just stumbled upon NIkon's USA site and I saw the FM10.

IS there anything wrong with buying an FM10? It looks like it's about the last SLR Nikon has made for a while. Is it similar to the FM2, and FM3A?

It is very cheap too, only in the upper 200 to 300$.. Even with the lens.

That kind of concerns me, as if it's not good? Because I'd much rather get the better deal-- Which.. for the price difference, maybe the FM10 would be a better choice? I dno't think it's made fully of metal though, it might contain plastic parts and more electronics. I wil ldo more research but I'd appreciate some help on the subject.

Thanks in advance

Joe,

Don't bother with the FM10 unless you're on a really tight budget. The camera is a budget

model, which is actually made by Cosina and merely rebadged as a Nikon.

The F2 by contrast is a professional camera built to the standards hard-working pros

demand. These people don't baby their kit like the average amateur. On the subject of the

one I owned, I should add that I bought it in about 1998 or 1999, by which time the

camera had been out of production for something like 18 years.

Judging by the state of some ex-MOD Nikon lenses I've seen in used equipment dealers

(who really should have known better than to even pay money for them), the service

personnel who get given these cameras don't especially baby them either, so that should

give you an idea of the kind of treatment they can withstand.

As for suggestions of other mechanical cameras that might interest you, in addition to

those mentioned above check out the Nikon FM2 (the forerunner of the FM3a), the Canon

F-1 or maybe even the Leica R6.2

Will do, Tim.

Do you have any good suggestion where to find a place to buy these? I'd have to buy it over the internet since I live where there are no places to buy camera's besides Walmart and Target and al lthey have are crappy low budget digital cameras and you know, those works.

I need to find a nice reliable and cheap but flexable place to buy my camera, but I'm not sure what to follow.

I also very much love the FM2, but it seems like there aren't very many models that are for sale anywhere in my budget. It will take quite a while for me to save up enough to buy one too so it might become even more scarce as time goes on, thats what I'm worried of. I also looked nicely at the FM3A, it looks fantastic but again, no where to buy it.

Suggestions, Tim? Or anyone else for that matter.

Thanks SO much.

Okay guys I've shedded light on myself.. I have one final question for whomever feels like answering it.

I have looked, looked, and looked some more. I found several possible things, but they're all over my spending limit. And yes, I do have a limit now. I am not willing to pay TOO much on this.

Given the specs I give you all, do you thikn you could suggest a camera based on it?

These are what I want in this camera:

1. A budget price. Like the FM10 is made for budget.. but the FM10 is not made to my specifications.

2. METAL. I don't want plastic made stuff.

3. Doesn't have to be fully MECHANICAL.. but it has to be fully manual.

4. Doesn't have to come with a lens, but can. I have a budget though.

5. DURABLE. I need quality like the F2-- built like a tank. I just can't afford to buy an F2.

6. Camera can be of any brand-- preferrably Minolta or Nikon

7. Would appreciate it if the camera's looks resemble the F series of Nikon, such as the F2, F3A, F10, etc.

I'm sorry I'm so picky.. but thats how I want to start buying my camera. Something durable, takes good quality pictures, worth whatever I pay for it, yet not expensive(I am on a budget you know), and pretty at the same time.

Thanks for my final question everyone.. really hope I can get something worth while. If I can't get a good enough suggestion that I like.. I might end up having to buy the budget F10... which will be probably a terrible mistake, but I just can't afford something like the F2, which range sin the 600's from what I've seen, and thats just for the body. :(

I heard somewhere though, that for 250$ I could get something of better quality than the F10. I just would hope it resembled the F10 in looks, because I love how Nikon's F series looks. Classic.

I apologize extremely.. for triple posting, but I have to add to the post above,

That It should be easy to find to buy.. I mean, that it wont be out of stock or impossible to find. I need a camera I can get very soon, and for that affordable price.. So maybe something on KEH.com, eBay, or another nice camera internet store where they have it IN STOCK.. Thank you