Trading up from an EOS 100 (Elan?) slr to a DSLR

goran1

After finally deciding that it just takes too damn long to get the film

processed and enjoy the results of my photo efforts, I'm about to get a DSLR.

The choice is rather obvious, the 350d paired with a new 50mm 1.4 and a 17-40L

should nicely complement the old 35-105 zoom and the 70-300 sigma I had on the

Eos 100.

Now there's just one issue left that wont let me sleep at night; will the 350d

manage the same feel of "serious" photography as the eos 100 did. You know,

the feeling you're actually manufacturing a work of art instead of just

shooting at it with a Star Trek like sensor device.

Of course the 30d would put an end to these fears, but getting it without the

new lenses is sortof like buying a new sports car with 13" rimms.

Any thougts anyone?

hi Goran - welcome to the wonderful world of DSLRs!

well, I only get that "star trek sensor-device-feeling" when I shoot with my digicam with an electronic viewfinder. very weird.

since with the dslr you're looking at the actual optical image, it really shouldn't feel any different than your Elan.

However, most dslrs have a smaller viewfinder area than you are used to seeing with a film slr - the 350d in particular. the 30d has a bigger viewfinder, and the 5d a bigger one still. I'd go with the best one you can afford. good luck!

Hi Goran,

The EOS 100 feels closer to the 30D than the 350D (I have the 100 and the 20D, handled the 30D and 350D).

If feeling is important to you, get the 30D. Don't underestimate the 350D thoug....

And your lenses, forget about them.

I had a Sigma 75-300/4.5-5.6 APO on the "100", it won't work on a newer Canon.... a common Sigma problem it seems.

The 20D (and also the 350D and 30D) is extremely unforgiving towards optics, I would doubt you would like to use the 35-105.

Just start with a 350D/30D and a 50/1.8 or the 1.4, neither of these will give you the feeling of "13" rimms".

Good luck!

The 20D is on closeout at lots of places for $900-1000 and is a much nicer body and VF than

the Rebel. Only a little more than the Rebel but with all the feel and 98% of the 30D features.

I prefer its smaller and brighter LCD/TFT to the larger dimmer display of the 30D.

Incidentally, if that's the old EF 35-105 3.5-4.5 zoom, it's actually a nice lens but acts like a

50-170 zoom on a 1.6x crop body. I liked the EF 28-135 IS USM on my 10D as a

walkaround--I'm not into wide--so you might like the 35-105 (50-200 is my fav on FF).

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The 350D is a very capable camera, and gives nothing away to the 20D/30D digital bodies. I originally went from an EOS 3 film camera to the 350D when I moved to digital, and the image quality more than made up for the downgrade in build quality and features.

The 350D is sold as the Rebel XT in the U.S., and is comparable in size and build quality to the film-based EOS Rebel Ti (which I believe is called the EOS 100V in Europe). The only thing different or "Star Trekky" about the 350D compared to the film-based 300V is that it has a 1.8 inch LCD screen on the camera back. Otherwise, it looks and feels just like the film camera, with similar viewfinder image, shutter and film-advance sounds, and primary controls.

If you don't like the build quality or feature set (it lacks, for example, the quick control dial on the camera back) of the 300V or your hands are too large, then you will probably feel the same way about the 350D, so you'll want the 30D (or the 20D which may still be available in stores). However, as others have advised, you are beter off spending more money on lenses rather than on the camera body.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I've been aiming for the 350d, but after picking up the Eos 100 this morning after a long time, my decisivness becamy shaky at best. My original reservations regarding menu controls and the missing dial on the back end I've grown the love on my slr, came back to haunt me.

Now I must say I am entertaining the idea of getting the 30d and a 50mm prime. BUT I am also a strong subscriber to the "get good lenses over good body" school of thought.

There's just one catch; I did the math and came up with disturbing conclusions. The European union sure isn't user friendly when it comes to photography. Lenses are some 30 to 40% more expensive then in the US and if you import, there's a 20% value added tax plus 7% customs on the VAT including price.

Anyhow...this is what it boils down to:

The Canon 17-40mm 4l costs me $1000, as does the 70-200 f4l. The Rebel XT + 2gb CF is another $1000. The 50mm 1.4 $420. That comes to a total of $3400 for a Rebel XT with good, but not the only lenses I hope to own. The 70-200 2.8l for example goes for $1700.

Now the 30d goes for $1900. Add a 50mm 1.4 and I'm already passed the $2000 I had in mind for this purchase. I mean I'd love to go on a spending frenzy here, but I'm one of those people who always somehow manage to pick out the most detail rich and therefore pricy item in the store. And my interests are not really limited...but I cherish quality over bargains. It's also motivation to live up to expectations high end equipment projects in the minds of the public at large:)

So....since the difference in bodies only buys me 3/4 of a 17-40L, the real question is

A) weather I'm willing to get a really cool body with just a 50mm prime

and

B) can I live with the 1.8 version, knowing that although a kick ass prime, there's a 1.4 out there that gives you that extra 5-10% added value.

Would you prefer the psychological dimension of user comfort, reliability and long term gain the 30d delivers, over quick success an added 17-40 would add to a good but lesser Rebel XT?

....I should buy something soon...this'll drive me nuts:)

I upgraded from and EOS 50 (=Elan II) to a 350D. I really like the fact that the 350D is smaller and lighter (digital SLRs seem heavier than comparable sized film SLRs) than the 20D. I initially missed the QCD on the back, but quickly got used to the different fingering - it is a bit more fiddly adjusting aperture in manual mode, though. The viewfinder is really small compared to a film SLR, but after a while you come to accept it as the "new normal" - a bit like petrol prices! The trick is not to look through your old camera again!

After going through the argument...I guess what it boils down to is this:

a) 350d + 1GB + 50mm 1.8 mkII + 85mm 1.8

or

b) 20d (or 30d) + 1GB + 50mm 1.8 mkII

So...is getting the 85mm lens worth the trade off for a "lesser" body. Some of you sure think so:). However, I don't really see myself upgrading the body in the next few years. Then there's the idea of the 30d + a few lenses being a trade off for the 5d:)

I think I've burdened you guys enough and will head off to the nearest srote and unleash my uncertainies upon their mortal soles.

That's precisely what I did. The girl at the store was real friendly and showed me the 350d with battery grip, the 30d and a bunch of lenses.

My conclusion was that although the results from a 350d and a 30d are practically identical, photography, at least for me, isn't just about looking at the perfect shot. It's just as much about getting/making it.

And the 350d just doesn't feel like it's designed to be a precision tool. So after all the comparing and weighing of fact, opinion and desire, I belive 30d paired with for now only a 50mm and 30mm lenses is the combo that would let me enjoy photography once again.

Thanks for all your comments and help.