420EX compatible with my 30D ?

ericlabrecque

Hi, i've just upgrade from a 300D to a 30D. i also have a 420EX flash that work

fine with my 300D. But when i use it with the 30D there is a lot of picture that

are underexpose. It it because of the E-TTL / E-TTL II compatibility ?.

Another question, the viewfinder on my 30D seems to have a little grain in it

compare to my 300D, Is it normal ? Is it because of the mirror type ?

Help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Eric Labrecque

The focusing screen in the EOS 300D and 10D appear extremely smooth, even with slow

zooms. However the Precision Matte used in the EOS 20D, 30D and 5D has a gritty texture

meant to aid in manual focus. It becomes painfully apparent with lenses slower than F2.8.

Personally I prefer the smooth grainless look of the older screen but such is progress.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The difference in exposure is TOTALLY a function of the difference in the camera flash metering system.

The 300D is ETTL. ETTL will heavily bias exposure to the focus point.

The 300D is ETTL-II. ETTL-II averages exposure across the entire frame, BUT will limit flash output to prevent overexposing any of the flash metering zones.

The 420EX is 100% fully ETTL-II compatible.

BUT, where as the 420EX will support all seven of the 300D AF points, the 420EX will not support the four "diagonal" focus points of the 20D/30D/5D.

<p>The 420EX doesn't support the four diagonal points if you manually select them. However, if you have the camera set to pick a focus point automatically, the AF assist beam may (depending on focal length and subject distance) still cover them. Not something you'd want to bet on, though.</p>

<p>As for the exposure, with E-TTL II, exposure also depends on whether or not your lens returns distance information. <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GPLS" target="_blank">I was surprised when I accidentally discovered just how significant distance information is in E-TTL II's calculations.</a></p>