24 F/1.4 L vs 16-35 F/2.8 L

alberto greco

Peter,

The reason I like the 16-9 review is that they appear to have combed through lenses prior to the test and taken the best samples to make a comparison. I saw the test that you posted but to me its not clear that the 17-35mm is better or worse than the 16-35mm. For example see these crops from that test.

More to the point, however, Alberto is trying to decide between the 24 L and the 16-35mm L and I think its clear from everything that has been presented that the 16-35mm is a good choice if you don't need the added speed of the prime.

Forgot to add in my last response the consideration of weather sealing. My wife and I

photograph in some seriously harsh environments and the weather sealing of the 16-35 is

absolutely brilliant. We have never had any problems with this lens at the ocean, in the sand

dunes, bird colonies (where the feather debris and dendritis hangs in the air), or snow

blizzards in Banff National Park in -40 degrees centigrade. It is a true workhorse in every

sense of the word, essentially bulletproof. I would hesitate to make this claim with the

24/1.4 or even the Nikor 12-24 (can we say Fischer Price optical contruction on the Nikkor).

My 16-35mm will go to the grave with me.

Jeff, so true about the 16-35L's weather sealing. However the weather sealing will do you no good if the body is not also weather-sealed AND the lens is not wearing a filter of any sort.

I don't know of any L primes that are weather-sealed, so yes the 24L would not be a good candidate for inclement weather.

Dan:

We are using a pair of EOS 1v-HS's which are built like tanks and sealed top to bottom. I just

cannot give up my Velvia. I know all the benefits of switching to digital, but damn I love the

glow of those chromes on the light box and when I project them from my Leica Pradovit RT-

m, well there is just nothing else like it. I guess I'm old fashioned.

Jeff

>>I have to ask in what realistic shooting situation do you shoot wide open with a wide lens and need the corners sharp - maybe if your hobby is shooting test charts?

I shoot PJ and in some situations, as in PJ style, the main subject is put off centered at 16mm and 2.8. However, people are more likely to complain about their faces getting distorted than "how dare you put me in a lower rezed corner"

But don't spread this around too much, they might start to :-D

Obviously for my purpose it's absurd to switch to the Nikon 17-35 and deal with manual focusing and stopped down metering.