What are your favorite (or not so favorite) PS manipulations?

photoreu

I know this is a very broad question, but I want to hear it all. I'm

talking about making an image really stand out... (hint: this may be

subtle).

I know that too much of anything is not good, and I also understand

that there are people all over the board when it comes to what

is "acceptable." Over the years of digital progression I have come a

long way in my thinking. I used to be somewhat of a purist but now I

say anything goes as long as it's tastefully done. So lets hear it,

what are your favorite things to do to an image? Whether it be

preparing it for a big print, putting an album together, whatever.

I'd also like to hear what you dont like so much, and why?

I've noticed I really like the look of sloppy borders, vignetting,

playing with high key/contrasty images, extra saturated colors or

maybe almost all the saturation removed. I've also seen some cross-

processed looks that are seriously cool.

It's wierd because some of my favorite things can also really turn me

off if they're over-done, etc.

Anyway, just curious what everyone else likes, doesnt like, and why...

Hi Reuben, Sometimes I'll use a home-made "Photoshop Softar Filter": 1) Duplicate layer; 2) Blur the heck out of the duped layer with gaussian blur - around 20 pixels; 3) Reduce opacity of blurred layer to around 50 percent 4) Go over important bits by using the eraser tool to erase the blur in selective spots (eyes for example). After erasing I'll sometimes re-adjust opacity of blurred layer to taste. This can really help brides who don't have perfect skin. (Grooms too) Best wishes . . .

<p>The manipulations I like the most tend to be color oriented. Fiddling with saturation, hues, creative color shifts, whatever. Creative use of color is something I tend to admire, more often than not.

<p>The manipulation I dislike the most is bumping up the contrast so much that serious clipping occurs. It is a matter of degree; increasing contrast can be done well, but at some point it produces a harsh image that looks like it was photographed under light provided by a nearby nuclear bomb, and it makes me want to squint. The effect can be decidedly abhorrent, and I wonder whether the photographer thinks they are really improving their image by making it unviewable.

Chris M, it could also be the cause of why a bride would choose to go elsewhere. More often than not I hear "Thank God you don't have any of those colored flowers or stained glass windows with lifeless b&w backgrounds or people. I hate that!"....don't just put something in your portfolio because everyone else is doing it.

<i>Shadow & Highlights---</i>

<p>Ditto if I had to choose only one tool... but in reality there are so many I wouldn't want to give up, such as crop, clone, hue/saturation, etc...

<p>OTOH, thinking about it, I like when the picture is so good straight from the camera that I don't have to do anything in PS :-)

I'm starting to become bored of the colour flowers, etc with B&W background, but you know what? I only do it on small things like candle flames (in church) or the flower on groom. They always seem to like it and ask for these effects. The one I like the most is the desaturate almost to B&W but not completely, about 90% so there is a little color. It gives the pic a sort of hand coloured look. Then I make another layer and apply Gaussian blur at about 16 pixels and then reduce opacity to about 25%. I try different blending modes but usually use overlay or soft light and play with the opacity a little until I am happy with the look of the photo. These seem to be the most popular photos and the ones I really enjoy. Now I have created an action which does it quick smart. I love it. Sepia is another thing I don't mind, but only with photos that look traditional and a little more classical. If there is a window or bright light that is a highlight of the photo I like the diffuse glow tool. Used in a subtle way it can highlight the light source and make it look a little more pleasant. Bye!

This is a fun question Reuben!

Umm- I guess my current favorite thing is playing with the WB in the RAW converter- I tend to like everything more blue. I'm also liking more subtle colors right now.

I'm really sick of B&W with color- and over processed everything- like to much shadow/highlight- too much glow- to much contrast- and too much tungsten- oh and too much spotlight- blaghhh...All of these are great when done in small amounts- but too much looks so bad.<div>00C5xF-23328284.jpg.02b7641d9915029bca65d95a7e35d93a.jpg</div>

todd -- "In almost any good program there is a coloning or retouching tool."

watch that coloning tool, i suspect you may get crappy results. hehe. couldn't resist.

on topic, i have a nice little PS action that gives a good cross processed look. i love that thing.

So far, I am just giving a large jpeg to the clients--unmanipulated. Just drag drop the image directly to a CD....they can't afford the PS studio time. I hope they have knowledge of their editing sofware and good profiles. I explain to the B&G >> An average digital wedding will be an additional $300, just in PS time. I know some of you actually include that service, but we charge - for that labor & knowledge - in our market. Still 95% film .. Here what a straight image looks like ::: from our 20d. I think the client can do a few manipulations on the software, as to their liking , or their printer.<div>00C66X-23332384.jpg.e2478ed32850cfd13d4aea431333a9e0.jpg</div>

My favorite is the VirtualPhotographer plug-in (www.optikvervelabs.com). Shooting digital color, I like comparing various filters on the fly when converting to b/w. One particular image was rescued when converted to b/w, choosing the yellow filter instead of a red filter, allowing the lemon wedges on a table to dance instead of appearing dead. Tri-X film with red filter would have been "ick" on that shot.

Regarding the comments on color spotting, I think it's all about moderation. Let's face it. Many weddings are largely black and white with spots of color anyway. Black tux, white gown, colorful flowers, white limo, black pavement, green trees & blue sky, and so on. The ubiquitous shot of bride holding bouquet, shoulder to waist, often pops when converted to black and white with spot coloring over the flowers. Often, but not always. I've seen too many full-color images of this pose where the white balance is off, the dress looks yellow, the skin looks like a pale coral, and my eyes are drawn away to the back of my eyelids! Not every technique works in every situation.

BTW..., love the shot of Emma.<div>00C6AB-23334984.jpg.bc1659c94d116848423b9f3594ec51db.jpg</div>

Great plug~ins & images! --I only wish our clients would afford us, this creatiity. Our B&G even request ::: NO B&W with selective coloring > NO images of close-up of shoes, etc. > Nothing sideways or out of focus..etc. Very strick and know what they like.

C JO doesnt that just drive you nuts? I'd hate to have my clients telling me how to shoot all the time. I dont mind a few requests, but if you're going to lay down rules for what style I'm to shoot in you'll be referred elsewhere :)