Looking for a backup body (Mamiya TLR)

pavelp

I'm going to Europe this summer and I plan to take my C330s system as

my main camera for the trip (the only other camera will be Canon S1

digicam). I tried to pack the system and there's a space in the bag

just perfect for one more body (yeah, I'm good in making equipment

purchase excuses). This would also allow me to have two lenses mounted

(or two different films) at the same time.

Being cheap, I am thinking about getting some of the earlier models.

My current preference is C220 (mostly because it's light and it has a

crank).

Anybody wants to comment or make different suggestion?

Pavel, are you saying you're going to betray your Mamiya RB this time ? :-))

Perhaps would you keep your GS-1 that would be your choice for travel ?:-) just curious... :-)

BTW, any chances you'll come over to Israel ? :-)

Pavel, I also own a C330s after some trading with older versions and have had the same idea to buy a C220 as a backup, so I got the later version, C220f, but what I found its not that good, first: the weight is pretty the same as C330, it lacks the parallaxe indicator, the screen is darker and if you are used to operate the C330 you often forget to cock the shutter. So my experience is: the best backup for a C330s is a C330s. btw: the parallaxe indicator may be not so important with shorter lenses, but I find it very usefull with the 180mm, which I often use, also for landscape....just my 2cents.......regards Martin

<i>Pavel, are you saying you're going to betray your Mamiya RB this time ? :-)) Perhaps would you keep your GS-1 that would be your choice for travel ?:-) just curious... :-)</i><br><br>

Well, I'm not going for a trip, I'm going for a visit home (after 5 years in the USA). The TLR reminds me of my happy childhood when my late grandpa often used his Flexaret (Czech TLR), so my Mamiya will nicely fit the theme (and with 5 lenses I have, it's a pretty complete system). Not mentioning the fact that my significant other does not know about about the RB (yes, I'm one of the guys that buy only black equipment :-) ). See, I'm not exactly rationalizing my choice.

<br><br>

My trip to Israel will have to wait for couple more years, but I want to go there eventually (as well as any spot on the globe). The problem is that my money printer just stopped working.

<i>first: the weight is pretty the same as C330, it lacks the parallaxe indicator, the screen is darker and if you are used to operate the C330 you often forget to cock the shutter.</i><br><br>

I see your point (c330s screen is quite bright). How much darker is the screen on c220f? Kinda like C330 or more like some older TLR? Also, is C220 smaller than C330?

While I haven't used a C330s, I have used a C220f, and the screen is plenty bright to me. I didn't notice a difference when going from the C220f to the RB67.

I've also used a C33, and must say that you're probably going to want to go with as late a model as possible. As Mag says, the best replacement/backup would be another of the same, but I find the C220f to be easy to use and enjoyable. And it should be cheaper.

I've used both the C330s and C220F which I own. First, the C220F has a nicer screen than a C220 if for no other reason that the parallex indicator lines are more clearly visible.

<p>

Did I say parallax indicator in the C220F? Yes. it does have parallax correction, just not automatic. When the lens is focused closely enough to require exposure compensation, then you need to worry about the parallax. There are lines in the viewfinder screen corresponding to the 1.5x and 2x exposure compensations. Those lines are the parallax indicators. You can interpolate intermediary values.

<p>

The C220 and C220f are best as travel/hiking cameras being lighter than the C330 series. I like the C330s for portraiture, candids, and if I shot weddings, that would be my camera of choice. I do like the C220F better than the C220 because it has distance scales fore the 80/2.8S and 105/3.5 DS lenses, and a brighter screen. Otherwise, the cameras are pretty much equivalent in terms of quality and usability. However, you will pay a premium for the C220f model (eg at KEH they have a C220F for $254 and a C220 for $139).

<p>

the C330 series models have interchangeable focusing screens making an upgrade to a bright screen mroe afforable. You can upgrade the C220F screen with a Maxwell or Beattie screen, but it must be done by someone with camera technician skills, which for most of us means additional expense. You save about 12 oz with the C220F over a C330S.

In particular, the C220F with 55/4.5 and 105/3.5 makes a nice travel or hiking kit.

<p>

One way to buy these cameras is to get a fairly worn and not so pretty example at a low price and send it to mamiya usa for an overhaul-- they replace all parts that are subject to wear-and-tear, replace the leatherette and calibrate the focus. You essentially get a new camera from a functional point of view. Cost of overhaul is about $200.

The C220 does have a crank but I believe it doesn't cock the shutter, so I would not get one unless it was my only TLR and I was accustomed to that. Nowadays basic C330 bodies are reasonably priced so I would suggest one of those. (I am not a C220 user but I have had C330 cameras since the 70s with no problems except shutter CLA).

Understood Pavel, thanks.

Whenever you will have your cash printer back to work and will be planning on visiting Israel, I'll be glad to have a nice photo meeting with you (as well as wlecoming to be my guest) :-).

Enjoy you roots visit.

Alex

I agree entirely with Joseph. I don't use the C330s, I have a C330f, but I do have the 220F, purchased new a long time ago. The screens are brighter--the same as the C330s models. As for having a back up that is exactly like the primary, it depends on the kind of shooting you're doing. I might agree with that idea if you were shooting weddings and needed to use a back up immediately when you needed to, without having to think about the differences between bodies. Even then, I used the C220F as back up on weddings and had no problems switching from one to the other. I also used it to take no-flash ceremony photos, often with the 180mm lens on and had no problems with parallax. Actually, I rather liked the knob crank and hand-cocking the shutter. My C330f bodies went in for crank overhauls several times, while the C220F, being less complicated in that department, just kept on working and still does.

I do not need a backup body that acts exactly as C330s. I am more looking for a body that will be used only when the primary body fails (the dead weight that magically protects the primary body as long as you haul it around).

On the other hand, having two bodies means that two lenses can be ready to take at the same time, which is nice advantage. Paralax is not a problem, most of the shooting will be typical travel candids and landscapes (I am dragging five lenses with me but something tells me that I will use the 65mm most of the time).

Screen brightness is an issue but so is price. And I can see how crank winding on C220 can quickly become a problem. At this point I think that if I can snatch C220F at a reasonable price, I will get it. Otherwise, there are plethoras of cheap C220's available on the market.

Thanx for the input everybody, I will let you know how it went when I get back.

My second body is a C220 (to a C330 primary). The only special feature is a late-model WLF. I sometimes use it in preference to the C330 if I don't expect to be doing much close work. The fold-out crank in the advance knob works fine. The lack of automatic cocking does not bother me. Compared to my 5x4 field camera it is incredibly automated 8-)

<i>size of 220 is exactly the same as 330</i>

<p>

I don't believe that is correct. I've not handled a C220 but I do own a C220F, and I have owned a C330S and used a C330 and C330F before. The C330 series bodies are a little bit wider than the C220 bodies, at least the C220F model for sure, and I think the C220 is the same dimensions as the C220F. The C220F and I believe C220 as well are also noticeably lighter weight. As a result, I prefer these bodies for a hiking camera, and having to cock the shutter manually is no big deal on a landscape shot, say. The camera has interlocks so you won't inadvertantly cock and fire the shutter without winding as long as you use the shutter release sliding tab. (If you insist on cocking and firing the shutter twice for double exposure instead of using the double exposure feature designed into the camera it is possible to do so, but you don't do it by accident).

<p>

Lately, I've been doing some handheld portraiture with flash, and I might be inclined to pick up a C330F for that type of work. But to be honest, the only feature of the C330F/S cameras I wish the C220F had is a focus lock mechanicsm.