Is there a source for high-quality leather camera straps?

I am looking for a classic plain black leather strap to go on my various old cameras. All of the

straps I can find have a manufacturer logo on it or have plastic bits on it. Can someone

recommend a source for something like this?

The Artisan & Artist strap shown in Paul's link for Mediajoy is available in the US through Photo Village in New York - even though it doesn't seem to be on their webpage, I have seen an all-leather (as opposed to leather & webbing) strap in their shop. An excellent strap.

Whoa, Mike, you've the good references in your bookmarks, but I hoped that it wouldn't been mentioned here ! Okay it's superb craftmanship, but the prices !!! <p>

In addition they are all stamped "Leicatime, by Luigi Creszenzi" :-) - quite discretely made though.<p>

Wesley, I assume you can still find some Nikon AN-1 leather straps. They are soft Nappa leather, thin, welted, and very discrete, without flashy logo. They are a bit pricey when new (if still available, I dunno) but I was lucky to get my two in "new old stock" camera stores bin, for $ each only. A very nice strap. *B*y can be a good source for them : just look <a href="http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3332&item=7513904444">here </a> to check BTW.

BTW I just had a glance at Luigi's website and saw he's currently selling for 480 euros (about $600 !!!) a black nose Leitz VIOOH varifocal external finder I bought for $85.00 on the bay last year, and mine is in far better condition than his !!!

Luigi, ma perche ?

:-)

Thanks everyone for your responses. I live in London so I hope I can find someplace here (I

didn't see anything in the shops at Pied Bull Yard). I'll take a look at the options presented

here. The Luigi strap is lovely, but I don't want a strap that cost more than the camera (it's for

a Canon FTB and a Nikon FM).

M Classics makes camera bags. I don't see it on the site but Seth used to (or still does) make leather camera straps that were copies of the original M straps of the 1950's. I have one and wouldn't trade it. Seth is a real nice guy and might make one up for you. Just email him. A few years ago he charged about $20. <a href="http://www.mclassics.com/homepage.html">M Classics</a>

Just a simple thought. Since you're in London, you could drop into Giddens, the saddle & bridle shop downtown. Wonderful leather straps I have for various uses, but I've never had a chance to get back to the UK to see if a camera strap might be fashioned. Owen

Wesley - the link I gave you brings you to the site of a guy who makes the straps himself and sells them for 15$ - which includes worldwide shipping. He also has neckstraps for $twenty-something, but those are brown - however i am sure if you drop him a mail he will make a black one for you.

For sure Csab' - not worth buying $$$ straps that will cost more than a classic camera itself from "Il Pescivendolo" ! Gordon's ones are fetching a very reasonable price.<p>

Or rather finding oneself a retired leather craftman in Naples and having the strap made by him directly for $20.00 - and, like this, "No Logo", as Naomi Klein would say :-))<p>

<i>Non e aureo chi totto scintile...</i><p>

:)=

A different perspective: Those leather neckstraps are killers in hot weather. They easily get a fungus in them and become very, very smelly. MY best neckstrap is the unit I got with my Nikon N6006 when I bought it brand new. Its a foam rubber type unit, very easy on the neck and when it gets dirty, you simply was it out in the sink and let it dry. This neckstrap was one of Nikon's better ideas, too bad it is no longer being made.

Yes indeed leather straps are not the best choice for a daily use IMHO because of that particular problem also avocated by Mike (Elek). But Wesley was searching a leather strap.

The bad smelling moisture phenomena appears differently regarding the treatment the leather has received. A good tan process and a folded and welted strap (which does not show the reverse side of the leather, which is the most prone to getting funged and deteriorated by sweat) can avoid that. My Nikon AN-1 didn't ever show such a common problem.

I walk and bike in black dyed leather pants quite often in the rain. About four years old pair of pants and still looks like new, except some scratches. No funghi, no weird smell. It has a lining, though.