Canon 10D + 24-70 f/2.8 L = Extreme overexposed metering

I just got this lens and I'm getting a bit ticked. Today for instance, it's

nice and sunny, I have the lens at 2.8, the camera wants to fire for 1/90.

That is way too long. The photo reflects that as well. What's going on here?

All the settings on the 10D are back at their default and zeroed out.

Thanks.

"What exposure mode are you using? M mode? Av mode?"

I have tried all the modes, if in P mode it will over expose. If I use Av the shutter will still adjust to overexpose, if I use Tv the aperture goes to max and then tells me it's not open enough. Using M mode, my meter tells me that I am severely underexposing when I set it to take what I'm guessing is the correct aperture and shutter speed.

"Is metering evaluative, CW or partial?"

In all metering modes it does this as well.

"Sure sounds like the command dial is set at "M", with Aperture 2.8 Shutter 90. Metering is mostly a function of the body. Do your other lenses do this?"

Hehe, give me a little credit, I've had this thing for a couple years now. I just tried my 100-300 L as well, it's doing the same thing. This is going from bad to worse.

I'd try a total reset (remove all batteries including the backup cell) and let it set for a while.

I've had a few cameras spaz on me and the reset fixed it. Heck I have to reset my cellphone

and computer every few months. If that doesn't do it, your nearest Canon Service center is

calling you 10D home.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"I'd try a total reset (remove all batteries including the backup cell) and let it set for a while. I've had a few cameras spaz on me and the reset fixed it. Heck I have to reset my cellphone and computer every few months. If that doesn't do it, your nearest Canon Service center is calling you 10D home."

I'll try the battery removal. Mayble I'll try reinstalling the firmware if it will let me. Otherwise I think you're right about sending it back to Canon.

Do other lenses show this problem on your 10D? Of course, if they do, it's the camera, if not,

it's a weird problem with the lens.

When my tripod fell over (d'oh! most of the impact was taken by the filter but) the exposure

for all lenses on my 10D was exactly 2 stops over from then on, until I had Canon fix it...

Have you banged your camera recently?

Well the firmware update didn't fix anything.

"Jim Larson , jun 03, 2006; 02:56 p.m.

You may also consider this as an opportunity to upgrade. . . ."

I'm eyeing that but if I'm going to spend money on camera stuff I'd rather get a new lens than a new camera. The 10D is more than capable of being just as good of a camera for me as the 20D or 20D Mark II (30D)

"Andy Jones , jun 03, 2006; 08:20 p.m.

Do other lenses show this problem on your 10D? Of course, if they do, it's the camera, if not, it's a weird problem with the lens.

When my tripod fell over (d'oh! most of the impact was taken by the filter but) the exposure for all lenses on my 10D was exactly 2 stops over from then on, until I had Canon fix it... Have you banged your camera recently?"

Yup, happens on more than one lens. Can't say I've banged it up recently. I even checked to make sure the metering sensors weren't covered in dust.

"Michael Winkels , jun 04, 2006; 03:28 a.m.

You've checked all camera settings. You might wanna check if the aperture blades are closing during exposure. Having the same issue with two lenses makes me believe it has to be the camera, or the connection to the camera, causing the overexposure."

If the camera was metering correctly but the images were coming out overexposed then I'd agree that the connection might have failed. But...the metering is off by 5 stops.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed!

I figured I should post what happened in case someone else experiences this:

I sent it to Canon and $200 and 1 week later I got it back in working condition with the following "Servicing Details"

"Electrical adjust_Data alignment for Expose/AF/Focus/AE. Checked Shutter. Cleaned and quality checked all features & functions. You equipment has been repaired to meet the CANON spec.

Thanks to all those who chimed in!