10D and shutter life

manoj r c

I used to shoot 50-60 36-exposure rolls of chromes per year. With my 10D it's still 1800

-2000 exposures per year. So, with a 50,000 shutter cycles life expectancy, I'm good for

years... Most folks will upgrade to the next model long before the shutter croaks.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I have lost count. Each session I take about 500-800 shots and now maybe it has already reached a total of 40,000 ?

Well, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the shutter still works until I upgrade to a new model like 30D or something like that.

20D is very tempting but I am skipping it.

With the introduction of digital SLRs, do shutters need to be made a bit tougher?<br> On 35mm film, when I go on holiday I might shoot 1, maybe 1.5 36-exposure films per day (Not the heaviest user of film ever, and budget's a major consideration) If I had been shooting digital however, I guess I could shoot 100 images a day, or more, deleting shots that didn't quite work as I went along (assuming I packed enough high-capacity memory cards) <p>With no need to stop and load film, and no/lower costs associated with every press of the shutter, will digital bodies break down quicker than their film-based counterparts? (ignoring the inbuilt obsolescence in all computer equipment)

I'm just as careful and thoughtful with digital as with film, and budget is not a major

consideration. I just hate wasting time editing out 100s of poor images. It's far better to

get it right the first time...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter