camera that I heard about. Yes, I've read the posts here about Wisner and I

understand that things (parts, repairs, etc.) may take forever. I'm willing to

take that risk because I think the cameras they make are outstanding. So please

put that aside for a second.<br><br>

What I'm curious about is the future of Wisner. I'm "younger" and have every

plan to use a camera like this for life. Does anyone know if there is a "backup

plan" should Ron Wisner decide to retire? I'd call and ask, but it would be a

bit awkward question: "Hi, Mr. Wisner. I don't actually own any of your cameras

yet, but before I do I'd like to discuss your retirement plans." Or, "Hi Mr.

Wisner...when you say 'Lifetime Warranty' would you be referring to my lifetime

or yours?" That's not exactly the way I want to start off a relationship.<br><br>

So if anyone out there knows anything about the future of the Wisner Company,

I'd be much obliged if you'd let me know.<br><br>

Thanks!<br>

--A

<p>Well, it may be that Mr. Wisner has already retired. His company has been mostly closed for many months, not accepting most new orders. <a href="http://www.wisner.com/">http://www.wisner.com</a> states <i>" Posted in October:

As stated previously, we elected not to accept new orders starting in May pending the fulfillment of all old orders or refunds if the customer prefers. ..... This will not effect warranty support, and we will continue to supply basic accessories like lens boards, but no other orders will be accepted."</i>. Since that was posted in October, which would be October 2005, The Wisner Company hasn't been taking most orders since May of 2005, which is more than a year ago.</p>

<p>The webpage refers to moving the shop to a new location taking several weeks, but it seems that the difficulties are larger than moving the shop. Also note this announcement: <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00F2KJ">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00F2KJ</a>

</p>

<p>So I wouldn't count on getting warranty repairs on a used camera years in the future. And did the warranty ever apply to someone who wasn't the orginal purchaser? But there are other people who can make parts for and do repairs on wooden cameras, e.g., Richard Ritter or S. K. Grimes, Inc.</p>

"I'm willing to take that risk because I think the cameras they make are outstanding."

I think you mean "the cameras they made were outstanding." Wisner is no longer in business and at this point it seems unlikely he or it ever will be again given the various timetables that have already been missed for resuming business. As of now AFAIK there is no company around to honor any warranties and to me it seems doubtful that there ever will be.

Fair enough; thanks guys. It's nicer to know that going in than it is to learn that after a purchase. Richard Ritter appears to be highly esteemed on this board, so I might also touch base with him before purchasing.

Thanks again, this was very helpful!

--A

As a comparison....The Zone VI Camera Company offered a lifetime warranty when it was owned and operated by Fred Picker. When he sold out to Calumet and retired, they continued the Zone VI line and, I believe, they honored the original warranties for the older cameras. I recall reading later that the original Zone VI warranty had changed from lifetime to a more limited one, and I'm not sure where the whole things stands now. Perhaps there are users of the old Zone VI cameras who can relate their experiences with recent warranty repairs through Calumet?

At any rate, these lifetime warranty claims always have to be taken with a grain of salt. Who knows what the future holds, and if they'll even be around ten, twenty or ? years from now. And it's not like one of these Wisners, or other wood fields, couldn't be repaired by any competent woodworker/machinist in the future, should the need arise.

Dear Alec,

Consider a Gandolfi.

My 12x15 inch Universal had a small flaw from new -- about 90 years ago, so you can imagine it was a pretty small flaw.

Eddie at Gandolfi said he would repair it under guarantee if I'd either bring it in or pay shipping...

(It was quicker, easier and cheaper to fabricate the new part, a brass locking slug, myself).

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

If you really like the features of the camera, and you can find one on the used market, then I recommend that you buy it - especially if the price is attractive, presumably a fraction of the new price.

I bought a used Wisner 4x5 Technical Field, and love it - especially its appearance and long bellows draw. I have made a few simple repairs myself, and presume that I can always find someone to repair it down the road.

• 1 month later...

I build ULF cameras of my own design which will be available commercially this year or next. Designing a camera for production is more involved than I had originally allowed time for. If you need something for a camera let me know. I have full wood and metal working facilities here in my home.

Barry Young

Young Camera Company